Thread: 189TRX vs 18TRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

189TRX vs 18TRX

I am casually looking for a new boat and am seriously considering a new Triton as the price of used boats is just astronomical these days. The appeal of a brand new Mercury 4S with a full warranty for about the same price as a used vessel with limited to no warranty left and lots of hours is strong and these two Triton models seem like a great deal. Aside from the obvious difference in motor sizes (175 max HP in 189 vs 200 HP in 18TRX) and beefed up transom in the 18TRX, what are the differences? I see they have the same specs in length and beam width and the 18TRX supposedly has a few more bells and whistles in finish but what are those actual bells and whistles? I don’t really care a ton about speed as I have an 18’ champion with a 150 now and that gets me by just fine. Just curious on opinions of the two models from those in the know. My apologies if it’s been covered before but don’t like bringing up dead threads.

2. Member
    As you can see from my signature I have a 18TRX. When I bought it I was originally looking for a 189TRX. They were out when I got to the dealership but they had the color combo I was looking for with the 18TRX, so I bought it. I have zero regrets. That said, I still believe the best value for the dollar is the 189TRX. I would definitely recommend getting the 175 hp motor, only because I have a friend with the 150 and you can tell it could use a little more push. He wishes he had the 175, but it was not available when he purchased his boat. Don’t give me wrong, it’s still a great boat, but if I were buying new I would definitely get the 175. IMO, both the 189 TRX and the 18TRX are a great boats, no doubt the 18TRX has a few more bells and whistle‘s and it is faster by a substantial amount, but if those things are not important to you, that 189TRX is fantastic as far as I’m concerned. For the way I fish, that 189TRX with a 175 would’ve been sufficient. The 18TRX just happened to fall in place for me, and I really like the boat. As far as bells and whistles, the seats are a little nicer, I believe the gauge package is better, maybe things like latches and trim, the biggest thing is a 200 hp rating I believe. Hope that helps.

3. Member
    Jack plate and hotfoot come standard on the 18. They are add ons on the 189.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    Jack plate and hotfoot come standard on the 18. They are add ons on the 189.
    Also the 18 TRX includes a water pressure gauge the 189 does not.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Also the 18 TRX includes a water pressure gauge the 189 does not.
    If possible the OP needs to get a current Triton brochure and go to the full specifications page and compare line for line what is included with each model and note the extra items included on the 18 TRX.

None of this is intended to disparage the 189 TRX. It is an excellent boat identical in size to the 18 TRX but missing a few standard items.

I bought the 18 TRX because I wanted the 200 h.p. 4.6L V8 which is over the max h.p. Rating of the 189 TRX.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    Very good info provided for you. I agree with the 189TRX needing the 175hp. A buddy of mine had one with a 150 and it felt under powered. He was not happy with it and sold it for another brand after 7 months. He loved everything about the boat other then the 150hp.
    Brad Krone

7. Member
    Both are excellent choices as stated. I went with the TRX 189 with the Mercury Pro XS 175 HP 4 stroke and am very happy. I added an analog water pressure gauge and an hour meter. I am old fashioned and wanted those type instruments to view. Good luck with your choice!

8. Member
    Thanks for all the info! Both look like great options, probably leaning towards the 18TRX as I think I would like the extra HP in the long haul.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UWBASS View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Both look like great options, probably leaning towards the 18TRX as I think I would like the extra HP in the long haul.
    Wise man
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

10. Member
    I went with the 18 TRX with a 175 because of all the standard features for only around $1800 more.
    Didnt go with the 200, upgraded electronics instead.

11. Member
    Yes..better more HP .. than not enough.

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Yes..better more HP .. than not enough.
    Agree, any boat I ever buy I will definitely buy the max allowable horsepower.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Agree, any boat I ever buy I will definitely buy the max allowable horsepower.
    Good idea. Boats with max h.p. are easier to sell than ones with less h.p. Not often that buyers request less h.p. When you can just lighten up on the hotfoot to go slower with a max powered rig.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

14. Member
    I test drove the 18trx with a 175 and it's not underpowered (I wouldn't put a 150 on it or the 189). Definitely get spot lock if you can, its worth it. Max HP is good advice., Both are solid fishing boats.
    Last edited by chatabass; 02-23-2021 at 04:51 AM. Reason: TMI

15. Member
    I bought the 189trx and added the extras that the 18trx come with because the dealership is limited on how much they can lower price of the boat. They have the ability to deal on the jack plate, water gauge and other things that are standard on the 18trx. I’ve had my boat up to 63.4 mph when the air temp is cold before I put the jack plate on. I’ve been told it should reach 65 with the jack plate. That’s faster than I really need to go but I want the boat to perform the way it should. To get the extras that come on an 18trx you might be able to save a little money by haggling with your dealer on a 189.

16. Member
    Just buy whatever works for you. That is what I did.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

I crawled all over an 18TRX that the boat doc had in stock a year ago...to me it feels like a 19 foot boat and I regret not buying it as its got to be one of the best bang for your buck rigs on the market. I would consider the best 18 foot boat out there currently. If you have to build your own I would look into the 189TRX w/ 175 HP (the 175 HP is a V6 and should see good fuel economy) and add a manual jackplate and then a smartcraft gauge (will eliminate need for any analog gauges).
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

18. Member
    Thanks for all the previous info. For anyone who owns a late model 18TRX, do you know what the max height of motor is trimmed all the way down (measured from ground to top of cowling)? Still on search for 18TRX but slim pickings. Might wait and try and get a new one in 2022 with the price of used so astronomical anyways. I have a very low door on my garage due to a lip in front of the pad and have about 75” to sneak in the top of the door. Any chance of this model fitting?

19. Member
    I have a 2018 189trx with a 150hp opti on the back. I absolutely love everything about the boat from a fishability standpoint, it handles the big water and nasty waves of KY lake very well for it's size and yet is small enough to easily zigzag around the standing timber I fish around most. That said it's pretty anemic with the 150 on the back and if given the opportunity I would've definitely opted for the 18.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UWBASS View Post
    Thanks for all the previous info. For anyone who owns a late model 18TRX, do you know what the max height of motor is trimmed all the way down (measured from ground to top of cowling)? Still on search for 18TRX but slim pickings. Might wait and try and get a new one in 2022 with the price of used so astronomical anyways. I have a very low door on my garage due to a lip in front of the pad and have about 75” to sneak in the top of the door. Any chance of this model fitting?
    I've tossed around the idea of selling mine, it's a 2019 18 TRX w/ Merc 200 4s. If I do sell it probably would put it up for sale in August.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast