Thread: 189TRX vs 18TRX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    I've tossed around the idea of selling mine, it's a 2019 18 TRX w/ Merc 200 4s. If I do sell it probably would put it up for sale in August.
    Id be interested in details....
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchance View Post
    Id be interested in details....
    I’ll send you a pm.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Member
    I just purchased a 2021 189 TRX with a 175. Only have about 6 hours on it so far. My purchase of the 189 was a no brainer for me. The only thing I was able to find different on mine compared to the 18TRX was the 200hp , stereo, and upgraded electronics. Could be something I missed but at a little over $7000 cheaper than the 18 I didn't find anything that could justify the price difference. Mine came with a 7 inch Lowrance HDS on dash and nothing on front. The 18 had 9 inch on dash and a 9 inch on front. Mine came with jack plate, full analog instrumentation just like the 18 sitting beside it, hot foot, same 15x3 battery charger, lighted rod and cock pit lights. One thing I am not sure of is that all the front compartments on my 189 have gas struts. None of the back compartments do. That might be something different but did not check that. I have been told by multiple people that are in the boat business, not necessarily all triton guys, the boat hulls are the exact same and are made just a like but different motors and a few upgrades to the amenities in the 18. One thing they had to do to mine was to change the hot foot out. They apparently come from the factory with the hot foot installed and a lot of tritons, along with rangers, have been coming in with a top feed hot foot when a bottom cable feed is needed. I was only getting about 80% throttle. The dealer had to file a warranty claim with Triton to get it replaced. So far loving the boat! Still adjusting jack plate. Will probably come up a little more but until I get more that 10 hours on it 63.2 at about 5800 rpms (via vessel view mobile) is fast enough.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigit View Post
    I just purchased a 2021 189 TRX with a 175. Only have about 6 hours on it so far. My purchase of the 189 was a no brainer for me. The only thing I was able to find different on mine compared to the 18TRX was the 200hp , stereo, and upgraded electronics. Could be something I missed but at a little over $7000 cheaper than the 18 I didn't find anything that could justify the price difference. Mine came with a 7 inch Lowrance HDS on dash and nothing on front. The 18 had 9 inch on dash and a 9 inch on front. Mine came with jack plate, full analog instrumentation just like the 18 sitting beside it, hot foot, same 15x3 battery charger, lighted rod and cock pit lights. One thing I am not sure of is that all the front compartments on my 189 have gas struts. None of the back compartments do. That might be something different but did not check that. I have been told by multiple people that are in the boat business, not necessarily all triton guys, the boat hulls are the exact same and are made just a like but different motors and a few upgrades to the amenities in the 18. One thing they had to do to mine was to change the hot foot out. They apparently come from the factory with the hot foot installed and a lot of tritons, along with rangers, have been coming in with a top feed hot foot when a bottom cable feed is needed. I was only getting about 80% throttle. The dealer had to file a warranty claim with Triton to get it replaced. So far loving the boat! Still adjusting jack plate. Will probably come up a little more but until I get more that 10 hours on it 63.2 at about 5800 rpms (via vessel view mobile) is fast enough.
    I think you’re doing pretty good and congrats on your new ride. I have a 2021 189 with a 175 ProXS on a 6” manual plate set to 2.75” PTP. I have only hit 63 mph one time and that was in cool temps. RPMs at that run was 5850-5870 per VesselView. Most conditions I will get 60-62 mph at 5700-5770 rpm. I’m spinning a 22” Tempest. Ideally I would like to be running closer to 6000 rpm at WOT. Curious what prop and PTP you’re running. Also, I’m curious why the top load Hot Foot is not ideal as that is what mine came with. Also, I can only trust my dealer that I am getting 100% linear demand, I wish there was an easier way for me to monitor that myself.

Mine came factory with a top loader hot foot and i get full throttle with it. I think alot of that is the dealer mine has a good service guy and he goes over everything and made sure the wiring was all routed nicely and checked the hotfoot and all that to make any necessary adjustments. I have hit 71 mph with a 200 running a 24p bravo so i think everything is working well. Glad you are happy with your rig choice. Some stuff may of changed in 2020 the 18 came with full instrumentation thats the 189 i sat in did not it was all just little details and obviously hp difference. It was not a $7000 difference either but everything has gone up so much too. Glad im not buying now lol. Either way gonna be a nice rig very happy with ours it fishes and runs great. Myself personally i would not be happy with a 175 on this hull i like to cruise 55-60 and still have quite a bit left if i want it but thats personal preference.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    There is a thread in the Mercury 4S section that discusses the issues with the hotfoot. From what I have read it is a setup problem with the "demand linear" and not the top load hot foot that is causing the issue.

V6/V8 Fourstroke MECHANICAL Engines with Hotfoot: DEMAND LINEAR (bbcboards.net)
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

7. Member
    Someone please define: topload hotfoot

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Someone please define: topload hotfoot
    https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...-foot-throttle

https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...-foot-throttle

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got2fish View Post
    There is a thread in the Mercury 4S section that discusses the issues with the hotfoot. From what I have read it is a setup problem with the "demand linear" and not the top load hot foot that is causing the issue.

V6/V8 Fourstroke MECHANICAL Engines with Hotfoot: DEMAND LINEAR (bbcboards.net)
    Now I wonder if it was just a setting or the hot foot itself. I did like the original one that came on the boat better. The dealer said they were getting a lot of Rangers and Tritons in with the wrong hot foot and were having to replace them. I wonder also if it is a new 175 issue. Didn't ask that. The 175 is kind of its own outboard. On Mercury's site the 115 and 150 is the 3.0 liter, the 200 up to the 300 is the 4.6 v8, but the 175 is the only one with the 3.4 liter. There was a person on another board I am on said they had to replace his hot foot on his new 175 and that his dealer said they were also getting in Tritons with the wrong hot foot. I guess I may never know. At least I am getting wide open throttle now and guess that is what counts.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Mine came factory with a top loader hot foot and i get full throttle with it. I think alot of that is the dealer mine has a good service guy and he goes over everything and made sure the wiring was all routed nicely and checked the hotfoot and all that to make any necessary adjustments. I have hit 71 mph with a 200 running a 24p bravo so i think everything is working well. Glad you are happy with your rig choice. Some stuff may of changed in 2020 the 18 came with full instrumentation thats the 189 i sat in did not it was all just little details and obviously hp difference. It was not a $7000 difference either but everything has gone up so much too. Glad im not buying now lol. Either way gonna be a nice rig very happy with ours it fishes and runs great. Myself personally i would not be happy with a 175 on this hull i like to cruise 55-60 and still have quite a bit left if i want it but thats personal preference.
    Thanks Roy. Great Name. Actually my name also! I live in Louisiana and even though I fish Toledo Bend, most of the places I fish I will never come close to wide open throttle. Cruising more like 40 or even less will be the name of the game for me. I did want a bigger boat than what I had to be able to feel more comfortable on Toledo and Hamilton in Arkansas but also needed a maneuverable boat and really loved the way these handled. I did get a pretty good deal on this boat being a 2021 model. All they were getting in were the 2022 models which for my same boat with it rigged probably like you saw it was $5000 and something more than mine. Dealer said the price on the 2022 would change every couple days sometimes. The only reason the 18 trx was only that much more was due to it also being a 2021 model. The only reason I knew the price on that boat was because a guy came in and asked how much and bought it as I was buying mine. This is an independent dealer also. Maybe a better buy could be had at Bass Pro or Cabelas. None of the ones around me don't have very good service reviews so didn't want to buy from them. A Nitro z18 rigged with two 9 inch Lowerance hds, ghost 112 trolling motor, 150 proxs dual axle trailer ++ and TTL $43000. Nicely loaded boat for the price but just couldn't do it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    I think you’re doing pretty good and congrats on your new ride. I have a 2021 189 with a 175 ProXS on a 6” manual plate set to 2.75” PTP. I have only hit 63 mph one time and that was in cool temps. RPMs at that run was 5850-5870 per VesselView. Most conditions I will get 60-62 mph at 5700-5770 rpm. I’m spinning a 22” Tempest. Ideally I would like to be running closer to 6000 rpm at WOT. Curious what prop and PTP you’re running. Also, I’m curious why the top load Hot Foot is not ideal as that is what mine came with. Also, I can only trust my dealer that I am getting 100% linear demand, I wish there was an easier way for me to monitor that myself.
    The water temp in the lake I have been running in has gone down over 10 degrees. Still warm at a little over 70 degrees. How does your boat handle sitting at 2.75 ptp. I think that is where I am getting ready to set mine. I am like 3 and 1/8 now. I think 2.75 will get me just a little closer to 6000 rpms. I don't think I will go any higher than that for now. Will wait and see when warm weather comes back around and can have a little more weight on board.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post

Sounds like you are getting 100%. Mine would run only 5000 rpms at 50 mph no mater what I did. I guess I may never know if they could have adjusted the linear demand. I sure did like the new style hot foot that came on the boat better than the older traditional one on there now.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigit View Post
    The water temp in the lake I have been running in has gone down over 10 degrees. Still warm at a little over 70 degrees. How does your boat handle sitting at 2.75 ptp. I think that is where I am getting ready to set mine. I am like 3 and 1/8 now. I think 2.75 will get me just a little closer to 6000 rpms. I don't think I will go any higher than that for now. Will wait and see when warm weather comes back around and can have a little more weight on board.
    At 2.75” PTP it handles decent. Steering and stability at higher speeds seems better at this height compared to when it was deeper, say 3.5+”. I do notice a little slip at slower planing speeds but when I accelerate to around 40+mph I feel the prop hook up, almost seems to shift gears. I’d love to try a 22” or possibly a 23” Bravo FS but they are sparse around here. What prop are you running now?

14. Member

15. Member
    I talked to the dealer about the hot foot. Not sure if they knew about the linear demand. I did explain it to the owner said he was going to talk to the shop guys about it. The replacement hot foot works fine though. I feel sure I am getting 100% with the rpms I am able to get so really all that I was concerned about. I came up on my jack plate to the point I was hitting over 6000 via vessel view mobile. I actually saw it hit 6120 rpms. I lost speed. Speed went down to 61 or so. Chine walk completely disappeared though. Probably due to speed lost. I am not sure what the P2P is now. Running a 22p tempest plus. If I had to guess maybe 2.5 to 2.75. I am gradually coming down on the jack plate. Last time out with full gas and full gear with just me I hit 62.6. So gained speed. Still over 6000 at 6020 to 6050 or so. I lowered it a little more but haven't tried it out yet. I would really like to keep it below 6000. I would deal with losing a little bit of speed to keep it below 6000 if for nothing else longevity. Manufacturer says rpms up to 6000 so that is where I would like to be. Running over 62 chine walk is back a little but not bad. I can control it. l don't have any experience drive a boat that chine walks so with me being able to handle it says how little it walks. I am happy with the speed loaded with me and all my gear. Will see what it does next time out.

16. Member
    Well I took the boat out today. Lake was really rough. As best I could tell after coming down on the jackplate I was running about the same speed as I was on the previous height but was running about 5970 rpms. So same speed and less rpms. Bad weather moving in tonight and tomorrow so not sure when I will be able to check it out when the lake isn't so rough. Around 63 looks like about as good as I am going to get with the current setup. I am testing with full 41 gallons of gas, all of my fishing gear in it and empty livewells. My old boat (2004 stratos 275 pro xl with 115) would do 47 or 48 with two people and full gas and gear empty livewells. After taking all my gear out and with me and the guy that bought it, it hit 51 gps. That's 3 or 4 mphs just by losing all my gear. I figure at least 1 or 2 in this boat just for gear so around 63 I feel isn't bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12