Educate me on Sunline Super Natural Mono

I have done some research on this line, and have thought about trying it, but not sure I want to pull the trigger. Lots of bad reviews about line breakage on Tackle Warehouse. Could this mainly just be that the diameter is so small compared to its competitors? I mean, for the most part it's diameter is two sizes different from normal diameter for the pound test. For example, 20lb Sunline is the diameter of most competitors 15lb, Sunline 16lb to 12lb, Sunline 14lb to 10lb and so on. What are ya'lls thoughts?

2. Member
    Line should be compared on diameter, not lb. test. You'll find huge variations on "rated" lb. test for a given diameter. I have generally went with the higher lb. test for a given diameter. Also, I trust Tackle Warehouse reviews about as much as Amazon reviews...you have no idea who the reviewer is or what the heck they did to get their result.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

3. Member
    Reviews are a tough thing for me. I read them on TW about line and always see the same things “poor knot strength “ etc and I’m thinking I’ve used that product for years with no problems. Wind knots are a common complaint on TW but I throw a fair amount of braid and don’t even worry about wind knots.
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BemisBasser View Post
    I have done some research on this line, and have thought about trying it, but not sure I want to pull the trigger. Lots of bad reviews about line breakage on Tackle Warehouse. Could this mainly just be that the diameter is so small compared to its competitors? I mean, for the most part it's diameter is two sizes different from normal diameter for the pound test. For example, 20lb Sunline is the diameter of most competitors 15lb, Sunline 16lb to 12lb, Sunline 14lb to 10lb and so on. What are ya'lls thoughts?
    I loved the 6lb test, casts extremely well, small diameter and limp...it is not abrasion resistant or very shock resistant. I loved tossing LC SP 65s and like sized suspending jerkbaits with this line, but I snapped off a couple too many larger trout in the 3-4 range when they rolled in shallows.

If you have clear open water, tend to net your fish, don't use it with overly stiff rods and heavy hooksets under locked drag, then it is a fantastic mono/co-poly.

Just be aware of that.
    Last edited by dragon1; 02-18-2021 at 07:59 PM.

5. Scraps
    I use the 12, 16 and 20 a lot on moving baits. Mainly cranks and spinnerbaits. I like it and find it to be pretty strong line.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Thanks for the input guys. Probably gonna just stick with Big Game. Was looking for something with a little less memory than it though.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BemisBasser View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Probably gonna just stick with Big Game. Was looking for something with a little less memory than it though.
    In what test rating or diameter?

8. Member
    I use the 10lb and 12 lb for most of my fishing, from throwing traps to T-Rigs, to weightless senkos. I love it. I've had some breakoffs here and there, but would recommend this line any day.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    In what test rating or diameter?
    I use big game in 12, 15, & 20. If I go to the Sunline, it would be 16, 20, & 25 based on equivalent diameter. Might try the 14 Sunline on cranks/jerkbaits.

10. Member
    I have used this stuff for quite a few years now. What I have found is the "green" color mono is different than the "clear" in terms of breaking/abrasion resistance. I ONLY buy the "green".
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

11. Member
    Big Game does have some memory. If you wanted a better mono try the Berkley XL products. I too have looked at the floor and copolymer lines but keep on throwing mono as it works well for me. I do use braid on a couple of combos for very specific types of fishing such as hollow body frogs in the grass/pads.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

12. Member
    I tried the Sunline Super Natural Mono with mixed results. The first spool I got (12# test) I absolutely loved. It didn't have much memory, casted great, and I didn't have any issues with breakage. The next spool I got (12# test again) I had a lot of breakage issues with. I decided against trying a third spool and went to Suffix Elite since I had tried that before with good results.

13. Member
    I use the line. I use it on my Wiggle Wart rod in late winter/spring. 10# test. Fewer problems than flouro. I use the green. Working 6-8 ft deep not an issue. Line is inexpensive, too.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Wondering if the Sunline Super Natural is IGFA rated and that's the reason it's smaller than most in equivalent pound test. A lot of lines are simply bigger and under-rated to keep customers from bitching about it being weak or stretching too much.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.