Question 1998 187 Questions

I am looking at a 18’7” 1998 champion that looks to be great condition. The listing doesn’t have a ton of information so I was wondering if you guys could tell me about the 187. The my 2 biggest questions are how wide is the boat? And are there any known issues that model tends to have?

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Hi there....
    I had a 1999 187. Great model!! 90" wide. No issues specific to this model. Just check out the boat and motor thoroughly, as you would any model...

3. Member
    I believe they are 89" beam. I have a 2001 187. Only real issue for me is it's narrow, but that's why they handle rough water well. I think they had 2 different trim levels, one rated to 150 one to 175. I do know that mine doesn't like my talons, and loved the lithium batteries.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Check the transom

5. Member
    I had a 187 and I loved it. Drove like a dart. Hope the one you're looking at has a 175. Rear cabinets are a bit small. Nice hull
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I believe they are 89" beam. I have a 2001 187. Only real issue for me is it's narrow, but that's why they handle rough water well. I think they had 2 different trim levels, one rated to 150 one to 175. I do know that mine doesn't like my talons, and loved the lithium batteries.
    Not to quibble over an inch, but brochures say 90". And you are correct about the two trim levels. Same exact boat, just different options, or lack of same.

I enjoy mine, rides great, runs 59 - 61 per GPS, the only thing I would change is..

175 hp
    Single Console

Or get another boat a 198 or 203..

8. Member
    I had one of the first TN 187's, they changed the sub structure when they moved to TN and added weight. If all the switches are down the side like my 2003 was pull the cover and inspect all the wiring. There was a box underneath that tended to hold water and corrode everything under the switches. I replaced the panel, sealed the connection, and drilled holes in the box so water could drain through. That fixed the issue. The only other things are of course the transom and all the pumps work. My gas tank had to be removed to change out a livewell pump out. One of my favorite hulls!

Mine had the 175, I had a 181 with a 150. The 175 brings that hull to life. I wanted a 200 LOL.

9. Member
    I have a 98 187 DC elite. The boat still looks like new. Handles like a sports car and takes rough water very well. I repowered in 2010 with a 175 optimax. The boat is a bit tippy with a big guy in the back, but the trade off is that you can get into lakes with timber much better than some wider boats. I visited mountain home and toured the factory when I bought the boat in 98. Just seeing how they were built makes you appreciate what went into the building of these boats. I'm afraid that if I ever sold it, I'd regret it, so I plan to keep it a lot longer. After 23 years, it's as solid as a new boat. The seat posts were replaced with new stainless bases and springfield hydraulic stand up posts. Original bases were carbon steel and proned to rust. Got new stand up seats from Deans in Mountain home, and replaced the bottoms of the driver and passenger seats. Deans did a perfect match and I still have the backs of those seats in place with no rips.

The 98 is a great boat, but the trailer wasn't. Single leaf springs continually broke, and the tubular steel rusted from the inside. If it has the original trailer, check it out closely. The trailer was my biggest issue. I replaced it with an aluminum trailer with multileaf springs. The boat is heavy for a single axle trailer, but manageable. Check out the floors for any soft spots, check the trolling motor mounting area for weakness due to multiple mount holes, and be sure that there are no water stains coming from any drilled holes in the transom, which migh indicate a watersoaked transom. The 175 optimax provides plenty of power. Finally, I'm not aware of issues and can vouch for the integrity of the mountain home 187.

10. Member
    If you have not bought it yet, you need to. All around great boat check out the transom and stringers if there is a hot foot installed. I’m in a 187 after actually throwing away a 186 hull with rotten stringers, which I failed to inspect when I bought it.