Garmin Mapping on Lake Barkley?

Guys, I am looking at buying new units and am heavily considering Garmins. Quick question for those who have them: does the LakeVu mapping cover Lake Barkley? How is the coverage of Barkley?

Thank you!

2. Banned
    [QUOTE=Mjgarret;11691551]Guys, I am looking at buying new units and am heavily considering Garmins. Quick question for those who have them: does the LakeVu mapping cover Lake Barkley? How is the coverage of Barkley? usually you pick a region and all the lakes that's in that region will be on there. The maps are good imo.

I can't specifically answer your question but I do know Garmin owns Navionics and Navionics is one of the leading companies that makes lake maps. Late last summer/early fall I saw multiple vehicles in the parking lot of my local lake and they had large Garmin stickers on the door. When I was on the water I saw a boat with multiple rather large arms extending off to the side. You could tell they were slowly trolling and scanning the underwater area. The boat had a big Navionics sticker on it. Pure guess but I bet Garmin use Navionics for their base maps. I have no proof just a pure guess...https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...ine%20industry.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I can't specifically answer your question but I do know Garmin owns Navionics and Navionics is one of the leading companies that makes lake maps. Late last summer/early fall I saw multiple vehicles in the parking lot of my local lake and they had large Garmin stickers on the door. When I was on the water I saw a boat with multiple rather large arms extending off to the side. You could tell they were slowly trolling and scanning the underwater area. The boat had a big Navionics sticker on it. Pure guess but I bet Garmin use Navionics for their base maps. I have no proof just a pure guess...https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...ine%20industry.
    even though Garmin owns Navionics , you cant use a Navionics map in a Garmin. They say the ultra maps are closest to Navionics. I have the lakevu 3 in my units . There good maps but not as good as Navi.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrick6922 View Post
    even though Garmin owns Navionics , you cant use a Navionics map in a Garmin. They say the ultra maps are closest to Navionics. I have the lakevu 3 in my units . There good maps but not as good as Navi.
    Thus the reason you’re seeing pros run multiple brand graphs. Makes sense if affordable
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Combs View Post
    Thus the reason you’re seeing pros run multiple brand graphs. Makes sense if affordable
    Right, most of the time when you see a pro running different units there not sponsored by any of the big 3 so they run what's best and each brand has there strengths. lol usually if you see a pro running one brand there usually sponsored.

7. Member
    Garmin bought Navionics and they do now make Navionics that work with Garmin units for Lake Barkley now, I have one. IMO neither the Garmin maps or Navionics compare to Lakemaster on Barkley.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Garmin bought Navionics and they do now make Navionics that work with Garmin units for Lake Barkley now, I have one. IMO neither the Garmin maps or Navionics compare to Lakemaster on Barkley.
    I know Garmin owns Navionics thats what I said in the post above yours. I got 3 different newer Garmin units and none can take a Navionics map card. which unit you have?

9. Member
    I know Garmin owns Navionics thats what I said in the post above yours. I got 3 different newer Garmin units and none can take a Navionics map card. which unit you have?
    They can’t take just any older Navionics card, it has to be a newer card made for Garmin from after they bought them out. I was hopeful that it would be an improvement over the Garmin standard maps but it’s not any better really. The units I used it in are Echomap Chirps, several generations old now. But the card says Garmin on it and Navionics I believe, I will have to look to be sure.

10. Member
    Just looked at their website stuff now though, looks like they are just rolling the Navionics data into the their data now, not selling a separate card now.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Just looked at their website stuff now though, looks like they are just rolling the Navionics data into the their data now, not selling a separate card now.
    right,. lol if the Garmin maps showed the creek channels going through the lakes I would be happy with it.
    Last edited by slickrick6922; 02-17-2021 at 07:38 AM.

12. Member
    right,. lol if the Garmin maps showed the creek channels going through the lakes I would be happy with it.
    That was one of my questions, so no creek channel shading?

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjgarret View Post
    That was one of my questions, so no creek channel shading?
    no, it dont show creek beds, channels at all. it shows the river beds but it's not highlighted enough. I run color shading on my navigation map but only contour lines on my fishing map and the river channels are still hard to see. what makes a good map imo is lots of info, let me give you an example of Navionics vrs Garmin. my home lake is Cave Run Lake. there's one part of the lake where it goes from 50' deep to 3 ' deep and out of the water at winter pool. years ago there was marker buoys all around it in case you didn't know the lake. years later there's only 1. on the Garmin map it show the depth of the water, on the Navy map it shows the Buoy markers. theres just a lot more info on the Navy maps. Now Garmin sells a suped up big money card that Ive never seen that may be like Navionics.
    Last edited by slickrick6922; 02-17-2021 at 03:36 PM.