Thread: Chatterbait

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chatterbait

Any juice to getting rid of paint on head heard it makes a different type noise a big secret no one talks about any insight??

I feel like they need to be broken in, which usually coincides with the paint getting worn down where the blade hits. Here's a thread I made on the subject a while back, several people thought I was nuts, at least one fellow agreed with me! http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=992742

I did tie some off to the cleat with 65 lb braid and let them hang just enough into the water so that they thumped while I fished and the boat moved. It works!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I feel like they need to be broken in, which usually coincides with the paint getting worn down where the blade hits. Here's a thread I made on the subject a while back, several people thought I was nuts, at least one fellow agreed with me! http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=992742

I did tie some off to the cleat with 65 lb braid and let them hang just enough into the water so that they thumped while I fished and the boat moved. It works!
    I definitely agree with you Drew. I have a 3 year old white jackhammer that has caught hundreds of fish and been thrown thousands upon thousands of times.
    It absolutely outcatches newer ones by a ton. I've thrown the newer ones quite a bit to try to get them worn in and they just don't produce as much so I always switch back to the old faithful.

Originally I just thought it was a confidence thing with that one in particular until last year. I got on a school of fish that were crushing it while stroking the chatterbait like a trap. It dawned on me to swap to a new one to build confidence. Same weight, color, trailer, I never had another bite. Tied the old one back on, back to catching.

I don't tie mine to cleats but I will troll new jackhammers behind the boat as I idle through the no wake zone leaving the ramp or while scanning. Just a few minutes at 3-4 mph behind the boat and I can feel the difference in the thump of the blade

Not sure about breaking in a Jackhammer, as they have a narrower head than many other types of vibrating jigs. But, at least with the ones with wider heads, the blade wears a groove in the head and, based on my experience, I catch many more fish on one with the grooved head than a new bait.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Jackhammers are the same in my experience. They just feel different after that paint gets knocked off and the blade starts digging into the lead a little bit, and they absolutely seem to catch better.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Not sure about breaking in a Jackhammer, as they have a narrower head than many other types of vibrating jigs. But, at least with the ones with wider heads, the blade wears a groove in the head and, based on my experience, I catch many more fish on one with the grooved head than a new bait.
    I remember that video you posted. Was really cool how the broken in ones hunted much more than the new ones.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    I remember that video you posted. Was really cool how the broken in ones hunted much more than the new ones.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Mine don't last long enough to wear the paint off.

9. Member
    I haven't found a liquid that will easily take the paint off. Sand paper might be your best bet. I can't speak for all football head styles, but many like the vibrashock shown will have the paint taken off with the blade.

123391137_1548568742016659_5945396774470900208_n(1).jpg

10. Member
    Jackhammers are the same in my experience. They just feel different after that paint gets knocked off and the blade starts digging into the lead a little bit, and they absolutely seem to catch better.
    I agree. I keep wanting to retire old reliable but it just simply catches them better.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

11. Member
    Ive used the same jackhammer for a couple seasons with only sharpening and changing out the skirts which get torn up easily

I was tinkering with some tackle last night, and another thought occurred to me as I was organizing bladed jigs.

Comparing my "broken in" baits to the new ones, the blade is much more free side-to-side on the broken in ones. The new ones feel tight in that the blade only goes so far to the side before it binds up, while the well used ones the blade can rock much further to the side and is a lot more free in general. Whether it's the hole in the blade getting worn in or the eye of the hook getting worn in, there's a definite difference. I think there must be something to this in addition to knocking the paint off the head. Hell, maybe the blade rocking back and forth more easily is why the paint gets knocked off?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

13. Member
    Can the video be reposted,please?
    Red Sox in 6!

I was tinkering with some tackle last night, and another thought occurred to me as I was organizing bladed jigs.

Comparing my "broken in" baits to the new ones, the blade is much more free side-to-side on the broken in ones. The new ones feel tight in that the blade only goes so far to the side before it binds up, while the well used ones the blade can rock much further to the side and is a lot more free in general. Whether it's the hole in the blade getting worn in or the eye of the hook getting worn in, there's a definite difference. I think there must be something to this in addition to knocking the paint off the head. Hell, maybe the blade rocking back and forth more easily is why the paint gets knocked off?
    I spent some time on two different occasions talking to Scott Suggs about bladed jigs and various modifications tot hem. One trick he told me that he does is when he gets new bladed jigs, he removes the blade and uses a small drill to make the hole in the blade that attaches to the eye bigger. He says that this helps the blade swing more easily and widely, resulting in more erratic action.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Can the video be reposted,please?
    I tried to repost it. It is hosted on my nephew's site on Youtube. He must have changed the settings on his page because to get access to it I have to sign in. I'll have to contact him and see if he can either give me the password or move it to the public part of his page.

16. Member
    Thanks for the effort
    Red Sox in 6!

17. Member
    A wire wheel should have no problem removing it.

#1 is a new bait. #2 is an original RAD Chatterbait that is well worn.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nl0g5t8cr...qLa-xFTQa?dl=0

19. Banned
    Wow. Big difference. Thanks for posting

20. Member
    What trailer are you using? Osp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast