Big ribbon tail worms without ribs at night in summer ?

If the tail thumps hard do you really think ribs giving more vibration make any difference? A fellow told me he made his own from a big pencil with a big thumping tail from another saltwater lure & caught plenty on it. Good enough he said that after he tried it in a silicone mold that he had a cnc aluminium mold made just for him. He said he could have sold thousands of them, but he felt good knowing nobody else had his worm. I know he wins a lot at night in summer & says this does the most of it for him too. I know i use to use a short body worm with a big ribbon tail called a flipping worm made by a local company no longer around & it flat caught fish at night in summer for me. There's a big smooth body ribbon tail mold i'm interested in, but i haven't thrown worms much in years until last summer & this worm could be cut down to any length easily with no ribs or egg sack. I caught several above average size largemouth on the ole monster last summer & really enjoyed fishinng worms again is why i'm thinking about this mold.

2. Member
    Those ribs are for the angler. Wont matter to the fish. Throw the worm and you will catch just as many fish with out the ribs.

3. Member
    I made up a mold for an 11 " worm with a giant tail years ago when I was doing a lot of summertime night fishing on a small local lake with Florida strain bass that gets hammered at night in summer . My experience night fishing was that there are definite feeding periods and the fish typically turn on and off at various times during the night just like in the daytime hours .

When the night time bite is on the big tail worms would catch the bigger fish I was seeking 4-5 lbs + but , When the bite was in a lull the big tail worm attracted small bass that would grab the tail and swim off . Upon detecting the strike and setting the hook I'd invariably end up with one of my custom worms now without a tail .

I started switching to 6" worms equipped with a glass bead and rattle inserted when the bite was slow and only throw my big worms only when the bite was on to conserve them and boating small to just keeper sized bass (these were the tail grabbers ) ,
    I discovered that the bigger bass would hit the 6" worm just the same once they decided it was time to eat . I would then then start throwing the big tailed worm again until until the little guys again started getting to the bait first . Funny thing was all of the biggest fish I caught on this lake all seemed to come on the 6" worm instead of the big worm I was pouring ? ( 7.5 , 8 , 8.25 , & 11 lbs)

I am sure others will have had different experiences but I just thought I would throw out what I learned .
    Last edited by kls2020; 02-19-2021 at 07:35 AM.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I felt the same was as you all do, but just wanted opinions or hear about experiences others had if any. Needless to say the mold’s headed my way.

5. Member
    I got the fatguys fishing 11" smooth ribbon tail worm mold this week & i'll have to say it shoots great & makes 4 nice big worms at a time. I'm pleased & will definitely be throwing it a lot this summer.