New 189 TrX purchase - opinions needed!

Local dealer is giving me a great deal on a new 189 and I have a few options/questions.

I can get it with a 175 and power poles,
    175 without poles or 150 with poles.
    Whats the best combo?
    Not worried alot about speed really. Do I really need poles? Do you need a jackplate to have power poles?

When you order with batteries, do they come from the factory or your dealer?

How about mounting options for electronics, any thoughts?

Thanks guys, new to the new boat buying game!

2. Member
    I have. 189TRX. I have a 150 Mercury 4 stoke. It’s a 56 mph boat. It fishes extremely good and handles rough water better than some bigger boats I’ve owned. I do have a Jack plate trim on wheel and hotfoot. No power poles. 175 should push boat to about 60 mph. I feel it’s the Best Buy in bass boats right now.

*Go with the 175 Mercury ProXS 4 stroke
    *Power Poles will be handy but not a have to have option. If you want to save some money this would be an area you could hold off on.
    *Cranking Battery will come from factory and the others from your dealer
    *BBT mounts for your electronics is the finest option out there IMO and you will not be disappointed other than they are not cheap.

Enjoy your new boat sir!

4. Member
    I have a 2020 189trx with a 175 4s. I added a 6” jack plate not because I had a real need to go faster but to help with chine walk. Still dialing it in. Lakes are frozen right now. The power polls depend on what kind of lakes you fish the most. If they are deep lakes and you are seldom in shallow water you will likely only use the power polls when you load and unload the boat. If you fish shallow a lot or sight fish I would get the power polls. I will be putting them on my boat this spring. I have the hot foot and ultrex and to me they were worth the money. I put bigger graphs on the boat but I’m ok with them flush mounted.

5. Member
    I have a very good friend with the same set up with a 150. It’s a nice boat and it’s sufficient, but I promise you he wishes he had the 175. Since you have the option, I would absolutely say get the 175. It was not available when he bought his boat a few years ago, he talks about it all the time. The boat can definitely handle the 175, it actually could handle a 200 just like the 18TRX.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I have a very good friend with the same set up with a 150. It’s a nice boat and it’s sufficient, but I promise you he wishes he had the 175. Since you have the option, I would absolutely say get the 175. It was not available when he bought his boat a few years ago, he talks about it all the time. The boat can definitely handle the 175, it actually could handle a 200 just like the 18TRX.
    I agree about the 175. It will perform better and hold resale value better.

The 189 TRX is a LOT of boat for the money and includes items standard that are optional on some other boats. One is a boarding ladder.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Make sure you get a trolling motor with spot lock
    They are a game changer
    If I had to have one or the other it would be a trolling motor instead of the poles
    Pick the trolling motor that works best with your Depth Finders
    I have the Ghost with mine and absolutely love it

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

8. Member
    Another option to consider is a water pressure gauge.

9. Member
    Go with the 175, instead of power poles put the the money into spot lock trolling motor and better electronics. Have them add a hot foot and trim on the wheel. I have mounts from precision sonar with no complaints.

Unless you spend a lot of time fishing while stationary in shallow water, you don’t need power poles. I have one and never use it. On the other hand, I am never on the water that I do not use spot lock on the TM many times. I now consider that to be a mandatory option. I would not own a boat in this class, or higher, without a jack plate even if it is a manual one.

I have BBT mounts and they are great.

If a water pressure gauge is not included, definitely add one.

I agree with adding hotfoot and blinker trim.

175 HP all the way. YOu can always throttle it back but you can only stretch the cable on the 150 so far. I’d rather throttle back to go 56 than have to run WOT.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I would say always go with the larger motor. A trolling motor with spot lock feature will be much more use than power poles IMHO

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

12. Member
    I’d go with the 175 and a manual jack plate 100% if getting power poles. I know I’ve looked on the website and built the 189 1000 times. I think the price difference in the two motors is $1500 or so. If it were me I’d get the 175 with manual jack plate, spot lock trolling motor and two 9” graphs. Then depending on your garage and towing situation decide on a tandem/single axle trailer if you have the option. Good luck and post pics when you get it. The 189TRX appears to be a great value

13. Member
    I ordered mine with the 175 Pro XS 4 stroke and the 6 inch jackplate with the spot lock and am very happy with that decision. I also added the 9 inch screens, an analog water pressure gauge, and an hour meter. Good luck with your purchase.

Skip the power poles. If you want them, install them later. Get a 175. The 189 is a heavy boat for a 150. The spot lock trolling motor is the main priority IMO. Followed by a Level1 Mercmonitor or other Smartcraft Gauge. It will show you hours, water pressure, coolant temp and every sensor reading to keep your new motor healthy. It displays alarm codes and plain language of what the code signifies. You can get digital (called Systemlink) gauges for water pressure and even a Speedo so you northern guys do not have to worry about frozen gauges or lines. My next priority would be adding Platinum Protection for the motor.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s