Four Stroke Idling

Hey guys. I have recently switched to a ranger deep V 1888DC so I can take the family out more. I went from a 250 optimax to a new 200 4 stroke pro XS. I will be doing some walleye fishing and was wondering a couple of questions:

1. I heard you can adjust the idle rpms down? Is this true and how do you do it?
    2. Does excessive idling hurt a four stroke outboard? I always run quick clean and stabilizer in each tank

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.
    2021 Ranger Aluminum VX1888DC
    2021 200 HP Mercury Pro XS Four Stroke
    Serial Number:

2. Member
    You sound like you are referring to the troll control where you can bump the rpms up or down to optimize the trolling speed.
    Yes, you can. On the sc1000 gauge the rubber buttons allow you to scroll through all the functions and calibrations. If you run your info through a screen look for troll speed.

As for idling. As long as the motor is within its normal operating temperature range. It will just run hours up, and maybe more carbon. Make sure you follow the break-in procedure with the throttle first.
    Last edited by moymurfs; 02-14-2021 at 06:43 PM.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In order to use Troll Control, you will need one of SEVERAL Smartcraft Setups (System Tach & Speed, MercMonitor, or VesselView Link).

A troll control dash-mounted control pad can also be added to your boat if you like.

Although your 200 ProXS Fourstroke wasn't really built to be a "trolling motor"... it can be used for the purpose you are proposing, especially if you are keeping up with additives, and make sure you end each outing with a nice cruising-speed run of the engine.

If you would, please be sure to update your thread (or signature) with the 4-stroke's serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Well I hope this boat has no issues like your last one!
    I maybe wrong but I believe this motor will increase the idle speed if your battery is low and not at appropriate level. Once an acceptable charge, idle will be normal.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Well I hope this boat has no issues like your last one!
    I maybe wrong but I believe this motor will increase the idle speed if your battery is low and not at appropriate level. Once an acceptable charge, idle will be normal.
    This should not occur when engine is IN GEAR (idle charge strategy is available in NEUTRAL).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor