Yo-Zuri Hybrid 15lb

I picked up a 600yd spool of Yo-Zuri Hybrid 15lb from the local Sportsman's Warehouse the other day to use for some tip ups and my swimbait/deep diver/toothy fish rod with an old school Bantam Curado 200B5. I figured it would be a step up from the Sunline Super Natural have been using, but after setting it up on the tip ups I am not so sure. It seems to have a ton of memory and is quite thick in diameter. Is this stuff worth spooling up on the reel? I was under the impression it was good stuff, anybody have experience with it? Luckily the spool was only $9.99 so I am not out a fortune.

2. Member
    I've been using it for the last year or so. Have had good luck with it on casting gear. I use the 15# for moving/walking baits and crank with 12. Diameter/pound test is a little high, but you can go down to in rated # test and get the diameter you're looking for and not loose breaking strength. Thankfully, I have no experience with tip ups. lol. Stay warm!!

The breaking strength and diameter of the line is off a bit. 6 is like 8. 10 like 12 etc... So if you like 15 go to the 12 and you will get what you with smaller diameter.

4. Member
    Good to hear, I will give it a go this spring and see how it does on the casting rod, if anything now I know I can go down in size. They had plenty in stock in all sizes, for the $9.99 a spool it might be worth buying a handful of sizes. I am just a little leery jumping all in before trying it. As far as the tip ups go, this is my first year using them. I had to give in to ice fishing as winter has set in hard and I needed something to do!

The floro coating would be stiff in the cold weather

This is a good line and has many uses and is very strong and reliable

6. Member
    In my experience, the YZH is a great line up to 12 pound test (stated breaking strength of 19 lbs). The 15 lb and up gets tough to manage though...

7. Member
    Like others have said, look at the diameter of the line not the lb. test. YZH is a big diameter line for the listed strength. Mr.Bass's comments reflect my experiences as well.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    In my experience, the YZH is a great line up to 12 pound test (stated breaking strength of 19 lbs). The 15 lb and up gets tough to manage though...
    Yep tons of memory. Their topknot flouro however is great line IMO.

9. Scraps
    Good stuff. So is your Sunline. I'd use the Y-Z for techniques requiring more sensitivity and the Sunline for cranks and spinnerbaits. At least that 'swat I do.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    the 15# has breaking strenght nearing 25# based on my tests year ago. Typically use if for top waters and ripping traps out of heavy grass. good line
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

11. Member
    Using 6lbs, up to 15lbs

Skipping: 15lbs
    Lipless - 12lbs
    crankbait - 8lbs
    jerkbait - 6lbs
    Leaders: 6lbs

others get slapped with 10lbs.