Shimano Expride 7’ M Glass vs Orochi XX Swingfire

Has anyone used or handled both rods? Looking for a new shallow to mid diving rod, smaller to mid size baits < 12ft, mostly around rock. Any suggestions between the two? Are there sensitivity and actions similar or different? I have/use both lines of rods in the all graphite versions and find their sensitivity and feel similar. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

2. Member
    I have a swingfire and I'd say that going any deeper than 8ft is a problem for the rod. You CAN toss 10' running plugs but it's a little under gunned. It's sweet spot is shallow to 7' IMHO and it's great at tossing lighter baits (like Balsa). I'd say if you regularly crank around 10-12 feet you should look at something different.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    I have a swingfire and I'd say that going any deeper than 8ft is a problem for the rod. You CAN toss 10' running plugs but it's a little under gunned. It's sweet spot is shallow to 7' IMHO and it's great at tossing lighter baits (like Balsa). I'd say if you regularly crank around 10-12 feet you should look at something different.

Thanks Bryan, I appreciate the feedback. Given that info, might not be the rod for me. Was looking for a rod that could double in the at shallow water, but could extend to that mid range, lighter cranks like warts, and rock crawlers.

No clue what you want to spend but I’d recommend a Flatside Special, Destroyer Javelin, or the P5 Madbull. I throw everything from a 1/4 ounce trap up to a deep X-300 on my Javelin. If you are dead set on a glass/composite, look at the regular Tatula or the Rebellion, either will cover what you want to do plus several other moving baits.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    No clue what you want to spend but I’d recommend a Flatside Special, Destroyer Javelin, or the P5 Madbull. I throw everything from a 1/4 ounce trap up to a deep X-300 on my Javelin. If you are dead set on a glass/composite, look at the regular Tatula or the Rebellion, either will cover what you want to do plus several other moving baits.
    Now that the Javelin's been discontinued, finding one is going to be very tricky.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing