USA Social Security & Military Service

I recently heard that there is a boost in social security if you have military service. Is that a fact?

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Yes. You get credits for military service. After a certain date its automatic. If you get up on the SS website it will give you the info

3. Member
    Please clarify: after a certain date it is automatic. Thank you

4. Member
    Earnings for active duty military service or active dutytraining have been covered under Social Securitysince 1957.Social Security has covered inactive duty service inthe armed forces reserves (such as weekend drills)since 1988.If you served in the military before 1957, you didn’t paySocial Security taxes, but we gave you special credit forsome of your service.You can get both Social Security benefits and militaryretirement. Generally, there is no reduction of SocialSecurity benefits because of your military retirementbenefits. You’ll get your Social Security benefit basedon your earnings and age you choose to start receivingbenefits.

5. Member
    Is there something to look for on the SS website to make sure these credits are being given??

6. Member
    https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem.../military.html

I'm still a year from drawing, but this should help you with the dates.

I was in from Feb 1980 to Dec 1992, and then a few more years in the Guard, do I need to apply for this next year when I start to draw SS, or is it added automatically?

From the website:
    How You Get Credit For Special Extra Earnings

Special extra earnings credits are granted for periods of active duty or active duty for training. Here's how the special extra earnings are credited on your record:

• From 1957 through 1977, you are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.
    • From 1978 through 2001, for every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year.

In January 2002, Public Law 107-117, the Defense Appropriations Act, stopped the special extra earnings that have been credited to military service personnel.
    If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, and didn't complete at least 24 months of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive the additional earnings.

You shouldn't need to do anything.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

9. Member