Console electronics on ranger rt178

I flush mounted my garmin 73sv uhd and its hard to see. I have to scoot to the edge of the seat to see it. I didn't want to cover the hole from the factory mounted electronics. That might have been the best option. So what's a good way to cover up the hole? Did you have clearance issues with the steering wheel? I was thinking a piece of aluminum or starboard to cover it up. Then use a dek it or panther bracket. Is all the trouble worth it? Will it make it easier to see?
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

This is the Precision Sonar bracket, it requires a 3 inch spacer which is included. Works well but a little costly.
    I don’t have any problem viewing my HDS but don’t know if your Garmin would be the same.
    A more economical approach may be to make a cover for the in dash cutout and use the Dek-It mount. I have no experience with it but from appearances it may not require a steering wheel spacer.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    So Bill, Precision Sonar included the wheel spacer with the bracket at no additional cost? I was thinking I would have to buy the spacer separately from them at $90. I'm interested in doing same thing with my RT188.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
    So Bill, Precision Sonar included the wheel spacer with the bracket at no additional cost? I was thinking I would have to buy the spacer separately from them at $90. I'm interested in doing same thing with my RT188.
    I bought my unit several years ago on this forum. The original purchaser bought it and then did not install. The spacer was included in the box so I assumed it was part of the package, may be wrong though.
    My spacer is only 2 inches and it is tight with gloves so I assume they increased it to 3 inches as an upgrade.
    I will say that the people at Precision are great to work with.
    When I bought the used unit it had Hummingbird serrated adapters. I called Precision to get the Lowrance adapters and they shipped them the same day at no charge. They didn’t have to do that but they did because they are good people.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    I know they sell several different length spacers for around $90.00. It might be included in there Ranger RT smart bracket console mount for $300.00 but I would call them first.

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I had the same problem seeing the sonar. I has a piece of 1/8 aluminum sheet and cut it to cover the hole in the dash. I spray painted it with crinkle paint with 3 coats.
    I drilled holes in each corner for Sheet metal screws and a pass thru hole for the cables. I then mounted a short RAM mount to the plate. It works for me and is VERY STRONG. I can adjust the
    sonar with the RAM. If my boat wasnt in winter storage and covered in the garage, I would show pictures.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

7. Member
    I have a triton 18tx and am about cover the hole from the flush mounted unit. I bought some black king starboard in 1/2 inch. Im going to cut it and route the edges. Gonna be a bit of work but I paid 30 bucks for the starboard. Way cheaper than some of the other options.

On my 2017 178, I went with the Precision Sonar bracket since I mounted a Helix 10. The setup required me to buy the spacer and a RT198 steering wheel since the 178 wheel didnt match up to the new required hub spacer. Was a bit expensive but I thought it was worth it considering other companies options required the same setup to fit my graph.
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

9. Member
    Here's the Bass Boat Technologies 9" graph mount on my 188. They look really nice. And the top of the black mounting plate has the exact same contour as the top of the dash. Spacer is needed. I just ordered a dual mount. Going to add another 9". Good luck.
    RT 188 Dash.JPG

Have a good one and thank God for it!

10. Member
    I have the BBT mount on my 198P. I didn't use a spacer on mine, it's a little tight if i leave the graph covers on but no issues with them off!

11. Member

RT 178 install

I just recently installed a Garmin UHD 93SV. I mean yesterday. As you know the 178's don't have alot of clearance between steering wheel and dash. My solution I took a black cutting board I bought at Walmart($9) starboard is expensive and cut it to size between the gauges and attached it with 5 screws and then bolted a DekIt($89) dash mount to it.
    The cutting board allowed the mount to sit up high enough to clear the gauges. This was alot cheaper than $90 spacer and $300 mount. Hope this gives you guys some help.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by possum69 View Post
    I just recently installed a Garmin UHD 93SV. I mean yesterday. As you know the 178's don't have alot of clearance between steering wheel and dash. My solution I took a black cutting board I bought at Walmart($9) starboard is expensive and cut it to size between the gauges and attached it with 5 screws and then bolted a DekIt($89) dash mount to it.
    The cutting board allowed the mount to sit up high enough to clear the gauges. This was alot cheaper than $90 spacer and $300 mount. Hope this gives you guys some help.
    Do you have any pics?
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup