What do you think is the culprit

I got a 200HPDI vmax that has dropped two cylinders
    wierd part is I was just cruising across river, maybe 4000 rpms and motor just shuts down.
    when I tried to restart motor just clicks like battery is dead.
    well I get towed in and get home and check battery, it’s fine. So I jumped from batter straight to starter and it turned over like it should, but with the key it doesn’t.
    only previous work that was done right before this happend, I had two trim wires in my wiring harness go bad in the sleeve between boat and motor. The wires were cut and solder spliced back together.
    not sure if this could have cause a short that would cause engine to lose two cylinders or a mere coincidence. Trim still works. 0EE649F8-BF53-4501-9A1B-D644693CC285.png

2. Member
    Possible causes,
    Bad fuel injectors
    Spark/voltage
    Carbon buildup
    I'm curious did the head have a lot of carbon? Also curious what the rings look like from those two cylinders.
    Looking at the pictures, the bottom cylinder caused the to one to fail from excessive heat and lack of oil lubrication. I. Would check the block over good before rebuild to make certain block has no hairline cracks.
    Last edited by javelin90; 02-13-2021 at 08:01 AM.

3. Member
    Are you asking about the damage to the lower of the two cylinders shown in the photo? Is the model a VZ200 with the 3.3 liter block? Complete model identity would tell us.

If so, looks like textbook detonation damage to me. Detonation results from one or more of a number of contributing factors. Over propping, insufficient octane rating, excessive temperature, abusive operation, incorrect ignition timing are just a few.

4. Member
    Did Yamaha build 200 hpdi’s in both 2.6 and 3.3. What years. Just for my knowledge. Thx

5. Member
    Yes. VZ200's in 2.6 liter versions and 3.3 liter versions. Notice I said VZ. Does not apply to other HPDI models.

Up though 2004 model year, 2.6 liters. 2005 and later model years, 3.3 liters.

6. Member
    Yes sir,my bad
    I got a
    VZ200TLRD

7. Member
    Well motor was pretty took care of, it’s probably creeping around 600hrz or so.

8. Member
    Your model is known to be sensitive to detonation. Unfortunately, no knock sensor.

9. Member
    Thought so just wasn’t sure what years. Thanks

10. Member
    They guy I got motor from claims he has a series 2 power head put on it, but I’m not sure how to verify it

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    yam911, not to hijack bamajoker's thread, I have an 06 VZ250TLR. Just curious if it is also known for detonation problems. Several years back, I started running premium grade in order to try & prevent detonation. We don't have access to non-ethanol fuel here at present. There is a local fuel distributor that has told us they will be putting in a fuel island and will carry ethanol free gas, but he couldn't give me the octane rating for it.

12. Member
    Last time it blew it powerhead was replaced with 60y-w0090-17-15

here is repair ticket last time she blew
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KFe...w?usp=drivesdk

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    yam911, not to hijack bamajoker's thread, I have an 06 VZ250TLR. Just curious if it is also known for detonation problems. Several years back, I started running premium grade in order to try & prevent detonation. We don't have access to non-ethanol fuel here at present. There is a local fuel distributor that has told us they will be putting in a fuel island and will carry ethanol free gas, but he couldn't give me the octane rating for it.
    Yes. It is the big block HPDI.