Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone splitshot fish

Just read ( in pursuit of giant bass ) by Bill Murphy. I love to fish deep and have a number of places that consistently hold big bass. Going to try some of his ideas. Anyone here have any insight or suggestions I'm open to suggestions. Thanks
    Last edited by stratosjoe; 02-12-2021 at 06:36 PM.

I practice catch and release, so no, I don't split bass. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but I don't know what it was that you did mean. Please 'splain!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

3. Member
    Lol Splitshot for big bass !

4. Member
    Split shotting or mojo rig can be very good with finicky Bass.
    Red Sox in 6!

I tried "Mojo Rigging" but could NOT keep the weight where I wanted it. It turned out that Splitshotting is one of my favorite things to do if the bass are reasonably shallow and it's not terribly windy. My setup is a 6'6" ML spinning rod, 6 or 8 lb copolymer line, with a #1 > #4 round splitshot. Do NOT bother with "removeable" splitshot...they snag up a lot easier. A round splitshot is surprisingly snag resistant. Hook to suit the bait...in my case, a 4" or 5" Zoom lizard seems to do better than the usual worms. I've also used reapers, tubes and small craws with good results, but lizards really get attacked violently. Try McCoy "Mean Green" or clear (easier to see than the green).

I would be interested in trying the "clam-shot" weights that BPS sells, even though they only go as big as #4 (smaller than #1). I suspect they'd be good in weeds and bad in rocks. True Splitshotting is NOT a deep water technique. It works GREAT in boulders and submerged roadbeds, but not over about 15' deep. If you can see boulders, try to cast over the center of the boulder and drag it over. The bigger fish will probably be on the deep side.

I bought a small book on the subject, written by a California Splitshotting Expert named Jones. He suggested a 6' rod, but that was about 4 decades ago, and rods are more sensitive now, allowing a longer rod for more casting distance. If you wanted to use braid plus an FC leader, you're on your own, but that might work ok. Personally, I'd be more likely to use a Copolymer line for the leader, or maybe use an 18" leader and connect the two with the smallest swivel I could find (as I do for Dropshotting). The splitshot would go just above the swivel, on the braid. Generally, the book said to point the rod at the lure and reel slowly, IIRC. My method is to drag with the rod, reel, drag with rod, reel, etc. I do the same thing with a C'rig. Works fine. I like to hold the line ahead of the reel, while dragging the lure, with either presentation, or when pitching. Cuts the rod out of the chain of evidence. Back way off on the DRAG!

One of the major reasons to use the Zoom lizard is that they're easy to rig so they don't spin. Dunno about other lizards...maybe ok. Not many brands make lizards under 6". When you're looking to catch finicky bass, small baits are the key.

I looked for the book on Splitshotting but haven't found it yet. The standard bait at the time was a 4" straight tail worm....Kalin, IIRC. There are a lot more out there now, including Zoom, SK, Roboworm, Venom, etc. If it rolls when you're pulling it back in for another cast, you'll have tons of problems with birdsnests. No bueno!

7. Member
    Wow, walkabout I really appreciate the information and if you should find thru fellows name please let me know. I fish c/r probably 60% of the time various setups from 1oz 6‘ leader to 1/4 oz 10" leader. Use a lot of my own handpours I found the split shot presentation intriguing especially for some of my bigger fish areas. The dragging weight I feel might spook these big girls. Thanks again very informative and helpful

9. Fishing is a Passion
    Split-Shotting is my go to lite line fishing, I only use the #4 clam-shot and a Gamakatsu straight shank hook six inch trick worm.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

10. Member
    Thanks again to all !

11. Member
    I just found a good supply of mojo weights. Great info here. The round split shot are hard to come by these days. You can crimp a mojo weight on the line no problem. 6-8# test. Light hook, small bait. I've used it down to 40-50 ft. Venom reapers and super do great bait for this. My thought is 4" ringworm.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

12. Member
    Does anyone have any experience using a split shot or mojo weight on the braid side when using a flurocarbon leader joined to the braid with a swivel, as mentioned above ? Thanks

Don Iovino has several articles on split shotting, drop shotting, doodling and many other finesse techniques.

He often would peg the bead below a small brass bullet weight instead of using a real split shot. That way he could shake it lightly and make noise.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

14. Member
    Post spawn, a finesse c-rig with a light wire worm hook has worked well for me. I find that it hangs up less than a split shot rig. I typically throw it on spinning rod with no more than an 8lb leader. A Ned worm on this has salvaged more than one trip for me.

15. Member
    Wanted to add...4" culprit worm was a go-to bait for me.

16. Member
    Try baby brush hog ---i have done very well with it split shotting
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

If you want split shot that won't slip, get some stuff targeted toward float fishing for steelhead and salmon. You'll find it marketed as centerpin shot pretty often. Redwing (Blackbird) and Raven (Sure Shot) are two brands I have a ton of luck with that stay where you put them. The Blackbird is the best in my opinion!

You'll also find strong micro swivels with the steelhead gear if you're wanting to go that route.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Redwing (Blackbird) and Raven (Sure Shot) are two brands I have a ton of luck with that stay where you put them. The Blackbird is the best in my opinion
    Where is the best place to get the Redwing Blackbird? Thanks

19. Member
    If you use a 6 ft rod you will move the bait slower. A longer rod may move it faster with out you knowing. My first tournament ever I fished a split shot rig with a lunker city helgie. Caught a limit.

20. Member
    Went down to the bunker and found a box marked French fries. About 20 bags of French fries and fish doctors. Guess I'll split shot those!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast