Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    bobber stopper, and a small bullet worm weight.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
    Where is the best place to get the Redwing Blackbird? Thanks
    If you have a decent sized backlog of other fishing stuff you want (or can otherwise find some stuff to fill out an order), FishUSA is a great spot to get it. It's a Tackle Warehouse type place right in the middle of "steelhead alley" in Erie, PA, so they've got a lot of the stuff we use as bass anglers along with all the steelhead stuff, and if you order $60 you can get free shipping. If you don't have other stuff you're wanting to get, it seems like eBay is the best bet, just to make shipping not as impactful.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Scraps
    I think I bought the thin cylinder style from Lindy to try last year and pin it with a bobber stop or two. Have been told can by dynamite around the spawn. Was also gonna try like a mini Carolina rig with a fluke through the spawn.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Thank you sir!

The "brass n glass" Iovino deal is or was popular here in the PNW, and I did it quite a bit early on in my bassing history. Used 8 lb test copolymer (Pradco Excalibur or McCoy's) with 8 lb test Berkley Trilene XL leader. It worked, but as you know, it takes a fair amount of time to rig up. Eventually, I made up leaders at home and stored them on a Cabela's large leader spool. The way I did it was leader including hook and swivel. When Spectra braids came out, I tried that for the main line, but our lakes were virtually all used for mill ponds, and have lots of cedar bark on the bottom. Turns out that cedar bark feels EXACTLY like a tap-tap bass bite when using braided mainline. I used that stuff for a full season and caught one bass after hundreds of hooksets. That one bass came up WITH a chunk of cedar bark, so...I quit using the braided mainline. TMI...Too Much Information, I figured, and went back to copolymer. .

I have thrown a 10" Powerworm on a splitshot setup (baitcaster, 14 lb test copolymer, 6'6" MH rod). Adding the splitshot makes the tail wiggle, when it doesn't when weightless. Without works better in denser lily pads, but if they're sparse, then the splitshot adds to the tail wiggling. Whether baitcaster or spinning tackle, I like to hold the line ahead of the reel to get the feel of the bite more directly/sooner rather than later! That's partly why I like to drag with the rod and not the reel.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

6. Member
    Great info from all ! I can't wait for this to melt.

7. Member
    Rarely do it but when I do it’s usually a small chartreuse zoom lizard
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    I have when its cold and they wont bite any other way.6lb test bobber stop and a 4 inch worm sometimes only way to catch them in Jan

9. Member
    I used to do it way more than I have the past few years. Zoom Fish Doctor or a Case Hellgramite. I use these bullet shaped 1/32oz split shots, Water Gremlin maybe? I don't know they've been in my box for 15 years.

10. Banned
    I split shot, but my technique is not using it on bottom. I like it fishing horizontal, and on the drop, for bass near structure & weeds, weedlines, and docks. I like Producto stuff for my arsenal.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 02-21-2021 at 08:42 AM.

11. Member
    Hard to beat a split-shotted Fish Doctor on a tough bite.

12. Member
    Really good thread. I got a small tub in the bunker full of sp!it shot, mojos,small bullet sinkers beads and swivels. Gonna drag that up and go thru it. Could go retro and throw an old creme worm....
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

I split-shot my ned worm (z-man TRD) 100% of the time. 12lb. flourocarbon with Water Gremlin Bull Shot Bullet Split Shots and grip pin hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Went down to the bunker and found a box marked French fries. About 20 bags of French fries and fish doctors. Guess I'll split shot those!!!
    Split shotting with Fish Doctors is a popular way to catch fish in this area once the water gets warm. Only thing I don't like about it is the fish will swallow those things in a heart beat.

15. Member
    I got a box started with split shot stuff thanks to this thread. Found a bunch of small straight worms. Another big box of fish doctors and centipedes. Might add some 5" lizards too. Got another box started with sinkers and stuff. Last up will be rigging an old all star tenn. Handle 6 ft rod and reel. Nice to go back in time and remember stuff I used to do.
    Quill, a Texas Rigged fish doctor was my go-to smallmouth bait for a few years. Won a lot of money with that. Caught them down to 80 ft. On it... Fancier stuff came along and I got away from it. Thinking back, I probably should have stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    I got a box started with split shot stuff thanks to this thread. Found a bunch of small straight worms. Another big box of fish doctors and centipedes. Might add some 5" lizards too. Got another box started with sinkers and stuff. Last up will be rigging an old all star tenn. Handle 6 ft rod and reel. Nice to go back in time and remember stuff I used to do.
    Quill, a Texas Rigged fish doctor was my go-to smallmouth bait for a few years. Won a lot of money with that. Caught them down to 80 ft. On it... Fancier stuff came along and I got away from it. Thinking back, I probably should have stuck with it.
    Same here, have not fished the Doctor in a few years, really need to fish it this year.

17. Member
    Got everything together the other day. Found all sorts of mojo sinkers, swivels, real nice old split shot. Many many little bullet sinkers. Also some roboworm rebarb?? Hooks. Everything in a small box. Got a couple of 6 ft all star spinning rods. Throw in the 12#s of split shot baits I found and I'm all set!!
    I have all sorts of baits to throw, but the most interesting one I found was a small pack of old creme 4" worms. I actually may buy some more in different colors, they look dropshot/ split shot friendly!!

18. Member
    I’m not sure what split shots to but #4-7?

19. Member
    I'd go with the smallest. Can double up or add a small weight in front of it. That's how I started dropshotting.

20. Fishing is a Passion
    I use #4 clam shot, like split shot but oval,
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast