Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger 185vx 2005 - Replacing Throttle Cables..general cost range

I put it off a year, but I think I really need to replace my throttle cables. I have no idea how much this will cost, but I wanted to do a little research before calling up the marina. I know many of you have had this job done. Just curious about your experience and about how much did you pay? Thank you.

Here's the situation: I posted about this last year around this time:

Two years ago, after some maintenance service was completed on my ranger, I was told that the throttle cables would need replacing down the road. There have been a few instances where the throttle stuck on me while on plane at near max RPMs. I've had to pull the kill switch and physically finagle the throttle arm back into it's normal range of motion. I know this is not a cheap job. Is there anything I can do to 'lubricate' or extend the 'down-the-road' time frame? Or, should I just bite the bullet, spend the big $$, get it serviced, and end up waiting a month for my boat? Thanks. Boat info. below....

2005 Ranger 185vx - Tournament Edition - Comanche Series

Mercury 175L OPTI serial number 1b424986 Sep 2006

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving this to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Merc Platinum cables average $55-60 each. Depending on whether you have a hotfoot- they may be different lengths, and require different amount of time to replace.

How much "stuff" has been put into the boat will also make a difference in the amount of time required. Thus, labor costs are something you will really need to discuss with the shop that's actually got "eyes" on the boat, and are willing to quote a number of hours (x's their shop labor rate).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Moving this to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Merc Platinum cables average $55-60 each. Depending on whether you have a hotfoot- they may be different lengths, and require different amount of time to replace.

How much "stuff" has been put into the boat will also make a difference in the amount of time required. Thus, labor costs are something you will really need to discuss with the shop that's actually got "eyes" on the boat, and are willing to quote a number of hours (x's their shop labor rate).
    Thanks for moving it.

I do not have a hotfoot (there's not much room under my 18.5 foot console) I was considering getting one - but it might be too cramped.

Is "stuff" fishfinder wiring?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be one of many items that might interfere with "normal" disassembly and reassembly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    thanks

6. Member
    sounds like control box issue
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    sounds like control box issue
    what makes you think it’s control box vs the cables? It gets ‘sticky from time-to-time mostly when trying to pull back on the throttle. Most of the time when it does this I can pull out of it. It usually only locks up on me when I’m close to full throttle. Maybe you’re right, just I was told it was always my cables.

8. Member
    Do you grease the track where the cables attach in the cowling. That might help.

9. Member
    well cables dont normally just lock up, i would deff replace them and look at control box for sure, dont skimp on cable get good ones extreme use ones/ platinum for sure
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    well cables dont normally just lock up, i would deff replace them and look at control box for sure, dont skimp on cable get good ones extreme use ones/ platinum for sure
    I'll make sure to ask for the extreme platinum ones. How much to replace the control box? I'm almost afraid to ask.

11. Member
    uh oh. That must mean bigger $$ for that control box

12. Member
    yep uh oh

13. Member
    yep uh oh
    What are dealers using to replace the old control box - the newest flush mount control box or the exact older one? I'm trying to research some prices, but I'm not finding any.

This is as close as I can get. It's the same foot print and everything but the shifter engaging knob is in front instead of on the thumb.

<EDIT See Announcements>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-22-2021 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Announcements

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need a picture of your current control- from that we can assist you with which replacement would be best suited. It will not involve the "zon" or the "bay" though.

15. Member
    Need a picture of your current control- from that we can assist you with which replacement would be best suited. It will not involve the "zon" or the "bay" though.
    I hear ya - It looks like the generic replacement is going for around $400. The throttle handle measures only 10 inches, though. I hope there are no clearance problems. It looks longer on my original control box in this pic. I can take better photos when I get home later today.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a pistol-grip control, and is replaced by Part# 8M0011213.

Rhonda (in our Parts Department) can assist you with a replacement (as well as cables, if you know the length):

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

17. Member
    That's a pistol-grip control, and is replaced by Part# 8M0011213.

Rhonda (in our Parts Department) can assist you with a replacement (as well as cables, if you know the length):

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    thanks a lot ! It’s a 18.5. Where can I find the length? Is there information printed where it is exposed and connects to the cowling?

18. Member
    most all cables have p/n on um may have to remove to see it, cc17913 is example 13 would be length, you need a handle too

19. Member
    most all cables have p/n on um may have to remove to see it, cc17913 is example 13 would be length, you need a handle too
    Thanks! Handle? A tool to get at the cables or a part that goes with replacing throttle cables?

20. Member
    no a control handle or repair that switch and wirring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast