Best Ultrex for my 20X3?

Hey guys, I've decided I'm finally going to spend the money for a Ultrex. At this point I'm just debating between upgrading to a 36V or sticking with a 24V? The boat currently has a 24V Maxxum on it and I think it seems to pull around my boat OK. I'm thinking I might just save the money, extra weight of a 3rd battery and extra work needed to go to 36V. Anyone have any issues with the 24V Ultrex having enough power for their 20ft boat? Also any reason I should go longer than the 45" shaft?

2. Member
    The way I understand it as far as how much power you need depends on the thrust, not 24V versus 36V. The biggest difference between 24V and 36V is how long it’s going to last. for my 18TRX I have a 24V 80 pound thrust Ultrex and it does fine. I’ve never ran it dead yet. I did upgrade to size 31 AGM batteries, I just did not want to give up the room for a third battery. Maybe somebody with the same size but will chime in.
    Last edited by itsahog; 02-12-2021 at 11:26 PM.

If you are happy with 24v now then I can’t think of a reason why you would not be with the new motor
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. That was my thought, if I'm OK with the 80lb 24V on there now, I don't know why I wouldn't be happy with the same in a Ultrex. I just wasn't sure if the Ultrex demanded more power and ran down batteries quicker or anything like that. Will a 36V set up be able to run significantly longer than a 24V? Having spotlock I could see how the TM might get used more than my current one.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jherrman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. That was my thought, if I'm OK with the 80lb 24V on there now, I don't know why I wouldn't be happy with the same in a Ultrex. I just wasn't sure if the Ultrex demanded more power and ran down batteries quicker or anything like that. Will a 36V set up be able to run significantly longer than a 24V? Having spotlock I could see how the TM might get used more than my current one.
    If you have room for the third battery, 36V will definitely last longer than a 24V. I’m not sure this follows the same graduated idea, but just think of a 12V, VS a 24V probably lasts twice as long, a 36V will last half again as long, not sure if I explained that very well, but in theory I would think that’s pretty accurate. 24V should last twice as long as the 12V, a 36V would probably last three times as long as a 12V. I have a 24V, and it works for me so far no problem. I did not want to have to spend the money for the third battery or give up the room in my transom. Maybe my analogy is wrong, but that’s the way I’ve always thought of it.

6. Member
    Look hard at a Lowrance Ghost. They are both a 24 and 36v motor. I've run several Ultrex's over the years and the Ghost beats them hands down.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Look hard at a Lowrance Ghost. They are both a 24 and 36v motor. I've run several Ultrex's over the years and the Ghost beats them hands down.
    The biggest thing I've noticed with the Ghost is it doesn't use as much battery as my Minn Kota did. My batteries charge in half the time now. Ultrex is a great TM. But I would look at the Ghost before pulling the trigger. Unless you have humminbird electronics. Then I can understand the Ultrex choice.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

8. Member
    Thanks for the input. I would consider the Ghost, but I already have 2 Humminbird MEGA units so I'm pretty much stuck with the Ultrex. I've been dragging my feet hoping they would come out with a upgraded version, but I haven't found any indications that is happening soon.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jherrman View Post
    Thanks for the input. I would consider the Ghost, but I already have 2 Humminbird MEGA units so I'm pretty much stuck with the Ultrex. I've been dragging my feet hoping they would come out with a upgraded version, but I haven't found any indications that is happening soon.
    Don't blame you. If I had the mega I'd go with the ultrex too.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3