USA Vacation fishing trip to WI - Suggestions appreciated

Will be early june 2021. Mainly bass fishing but also gonna try and catch some fat bluegill.

I will be taking my family so won't be looking for anything remote, we normally rent a house or cabin and gotta have restaurants nearby because the wife doesn't like to cook on vacations.

What are you guys suggestions? So far i heard about Minocqua Chain and Eagle river chain.

I have an 18 footer glass boat btw.

Cheers

2. Member
    Wisconsin River around the Wisconsin Dells area. Good multi species river action and water should still be up. Plenty of non fishing options to keep the family entertained as well.

Madison chain of lakes...June is when legitimate 11" plus bluegills get caught out there...its a world class bluegill fishery and a really good bass fishery yet in June...can catch em deep, shallow and everywhere in between
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

4. Member
    Madison does have some giant bluegills but I don't know if I'd take my family there for a vacation. Minocqua, Eagle River, Rhinelander area and Three Lakes Chain is where I'd look. Tons of cabins, resorts, restaurants etc. My aunt/uncle (both passed unfortunately) had a place on Whitefish on the Three Lakes chain and he was pretty much strictly a panfisherman. Lot's of crappie, bluegill and perch. I'd catch a ton of bass, pike and actually quite a few musky (for not targeting them). Would bring my boat and hit 4 or 5 different lakes every time we'd go up.

5. Member
    Be hard to beat the Mississippi River near La Crosse or Prairie du Chien.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    This

7. Member
    St Germain/Eagle River/Minocqua....we've stayed on Big St. Germain Lake in the past and it was nice. Harv's vacation rentals has a pretty good selection of homes and cabins on various lake in the north woods.

8. Member
    Sturgeon Bay they will be biting then all over

9. Member
    How important is it to use your own boat & do you want it to be a family vacation with a bit of fishing or mainly fishing? If you want a REALLY cool place for the family I can send you a place you will love.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    +1 for this suggestion. I live in the La Crosse area. I'm trying to plan a vacation in August and I'd honestly rather stay here and spend the week fishing but then I won't be 'on vacation'.

There are tons of great restaurants. Downtown La Crosse is great. Pools 7 & 8 of the Mississippi River along with Lake Onalaska gives you miles and miles/acres and acres of fishing for bass and nearly every other species...panfish, walleye, pike. I'm afraid I can't help with info about vacation rentals, however. Unlike those areas in northern Wisconsin, I don't think there are many 'resorts' or places you can rent "on the water". I guess I've never really looked. It seems like mostly hotels or camping.

https://www.cozycornercottages.net/ might or might not be what you have in mind. I've driven by them and they are 'cozy'. LOL. I'm certain you could find something on VRBO.com.
    2020 AlumaCraft Competitor 175 w/Mercury 150 FourStroke
    ---
    Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N, Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA DI G3N ---2.440---

Terrova 80/iPilot Link/BT ---1.410--- Ethernet 5PXG ---4.200---
    AutoChart Pro and LakeMaster cards - FishSmart on iPhone with ChartSelect maps

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pureoil313 View Post
    How important is it to use your own boat & do you want it to be a family vacation with a bit of fishing or mainly fishing? If you want a REALLY cool place for the family I can send you a place you will love.
    Not my thread but I'm here for the same information. I'm interested. I also have my own boat but would rather not haul it. More looking for a family vacation rather than a fishing trip.

12. Member
    Any of the above for a fisherman. LaCrosse area for the family.

13. Member
    The Chetek Chain has a ton of fish. Big gills.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos