"Typical" Ice Out and Pre-Spawn Bite?

Full disclosure, I'm not looking to make a trip to MI...... Trying to get some general information for a potential future trip, but more importantly trying to do a comparison to some areas around me.

In looking at a map, it appears the Traverse City up to Indian River area is close to the same latitude to areas here in MN and WI that I'm familiar with. Since we have a closed season for bass here in MN until the middle of May, we miss out every year on the good pre-spawn jerkbait/swimbait/tube bite without having to head many hours north. I'm curious as to when that bite typically is for you guys so I can try and time it with how much further I'll need to go north when it finally opens for me here. Also, with WI now having an early C&R season, I want to possibly try and use the information you provide and see if it correlates with any of the lakes in WI and try to get a true spring pre-spawn trip in this year closer to home.

Some day though, I'd LOVE to get up your way and fish those bronzies in that clear water. Until then, I'll humor myself with the information gathering and try to apply it where I can back here.

Thanks.

55-58* and full/new moon is spawn time.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    I know it varies each year because of weather, but is that typically the 2nd or 3rd week of May?

Depends on the lake/depths and location... Northern Mi lakes spawn much later than where I live.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Here in Vanderbilt, Ice out is almost always within the last two weeks of April. Our walleye opener is the last Saturday in April and there are open lakes at that time. Jerkbaits and blades immediately upon ice out.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!

Here in Traverse City the Jerk bait, blade bait, and tube bite starts as soon as we can get on the bay, usually early April. Swimbaits and tubes in May. Bed fishing starts Memorial Day weekend on the inland lakes and June 10-15 on the bay.
    Good Jerkbait and tube and swimbait fishing in May on the inland lakes.

Spawning time nothing can beat a dropshot.

Dropshot, Senko, and Swimbaits in post spawn times into summer pattern.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I’ve bed fished in east grand traverse bay on the Fourth of July. Big, deep, cold water can push that spawn quite a bit.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Ice out on St. Clair is usually Mid-march to end of march.

I have never successfully hit the lake and been earlier than pre-spawn. There just arent as many pre-spawn when the water is 37 degrees. Majority of fish in various stages of spawn through end of May.

10. dartag1829
    This was yesterday. Probably 10 miles of ice to still come down the Saint Clair river. St Clair looks frozen solid except by the Det River. Going to be a mess when all that ice comes down.

ice4.JPG