Banned

3M Rubbing Compound!

clear coat.jpgclearcoat1.jpg I was going to try to shine up my old Boat , Would the 3M rubbing compound be ok to use or is it to gritty? and then use 3M 36106 Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound . any thoughts? also I've only got a old Sear's 1 speed waxer, I'm assuming I need a 2 speed buffer also right?

Last edited by slickrick6922; 02-13-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: photos

Really need some pics of what the finish looks like before anyone can give you good usable information.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Really need some pics of what the finish looks like before anyone can give you good usable information.
    tks. for the reply, I'll edit the post and add a few photos.

Crank can certainly give his expertise, but from the pics, it's really not in bad shape.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    Crank can certainly give his expertise, but from the pics, it's really not in bad shape.
    tks. when crank looked at the thread he said add photos so I did, I'm just hoping he stumbles back across this thread. lol

The compound won’t do you much good from what I see. Looks like some slight cracking in the clear and maybe some checkin...? The pics blur as I blow it up. Appears to need a few rounds of sanding...if you’d like to send me pic directs I’ll be glad to try to give a little advice...if it has started to crack or craze you can make it look better but won’t fix those issues.
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Banned
    The compound won’t do you much good from what I see. Looks like some slight cracking in the clear and maybe some checkin...? The pics blur as I blow it up. Appears to need a few rounds of sanding...if you’d like to send me pic directs I’ll be glad to try to give a little advice...if it has started to crack or craze you can make it look better but won’t fix those issues.
    ok, Thank you. Where do I send the photos? If you look at the photos in the bottom corner of 1 you can see where I tried the 3M rubbing compound after I lightly sanded, in that same photo above the clear spot where it looks dull , thats where I sanded it if that makes sense. lol after using that I was going to use 3M perfect it.
    Last edited by slickrick6922; 02-13-2021 at 01:08 PM.

My number is in my website (in my signature) as well as email. I prefer text just for inquiries. 919-631-2019.
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Banned
    My number is in my website (in my signature) as well as email. I prefer text just for inquiries. 919-631-2019.
    ok, tks. I'll shot you a text monday.