Bait Finesse Casting Setup

Hey everyone,
    I got the Bait Finesse rod from Megabass (thanks TackleTrap) and am curious as far as setup, what kind of line are you using on your setups? I use only Braid to Leader on my spinning setups, am leaning towards that as well on this setup, but am also curious if people lean towards a light flouro? So yeah, what type and what size line do you use? TIA

2. Member
    I ordered a Dobyns 740 and Daiwa Air TW. Am planning to experiment with 6 or 7 lb Sniper, but if that doesn't work may try braid/leader too.

3. Member
    I prefer straight fluoro on a finesse baitcaster just to eliminate the chance of a knot getting caught up in the eyes causing a backlash, 8 to 10 lbs Seaguar Invisx
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

I actually bought a Daiwa SS Air this offseason to get into this realm a little bit. I'm not sure I'll be using it in exactly the way someone using it for BFS might--I'm planning to use it for smaller jerkbaits and balsa baits that are otherwise tough to throw on casting gear--but I'm planning to spool it with 8 or 10 lb Sniper. I know guys spool up lighter line (or leaders) than that, but man I'd have a hard time doing that on casting gear. Hard to break that habit of really leaning into a fish on a casting setup, I feel like I'd be breaking them off all the time.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I use a Daiwa BLXLG 7'1" Med / light for my casting finesse rod. I love it ! ! ! the reel I use on it is a Daiwa ALPHAS SV 105 5:8:1
    I use it for shakeys, NED, and WACKY rigged stix. I use 20LB Daiwa J X8 braid to Daiwa J-Floro Samari leader.
    It is ALL personal preference though. You need to find out what best suits your needs. As for everything else in bass fishing/
    WHAT WORKS FOR ONE...MAY NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

6. Member
    I'd like to just spool mine up with 7/8 lb flouro and go to work, but the sensitivity of braid always brings me back to it so I always seem to waste the flouro. I've put 10lb braid on there and will use a light leader. Mostly I'll be using it for the wacky, neko, shakey head type techniques. I have some other baitcasters I use for lighter moving baits, like two other Megabass P5s in the Z-Crank and the OneTen Stick. Those both have 10 lb flouro for the lighter All 3 of those Megabass P5s are new this winter Z-Crank, One Ten Stick and then the Bait Finesse so I'll try and start this way and see how it goes. Appreciat the feedback.

7. Member
    I've used 10# flouro no problems. Tubes and spider grubs. I did a lot worming and jigging years ago with 10# mono. Can't really see any use in broadcasting less than 10#.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Have a GLoomis 7'ML crankbait rod, Curado SF and straight 6 lb test Tatsu. Works fine, never had a backlash with it. Intended to use it for Spybaiting Duo-Realis 90, but didn't like the nose-down plummet of the lure. It's not unusual for me to fool around with a combo for a few decades before I find a use for it that makes me happy.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'm going to pair my Bait Finesse with a Steez SV TW and 10 lb FC Sniper but I'll be using my setup for moving baits - okashira screwheads and Duo 80 spybaits mostly
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

10. Member
    For BFS use I have found that braid plus a leader is a very nice combination. BFS stuff can get a little unruly when you get down to the very end of the lightweight baits spectrum. The braid gives you more managibility. The diameter of braid is very thin so you won't have any issues with casting it all off. Just make sure you set your drag appropriately. You don't want it too tight to where there is no give but you don't want it too lose either. I really don't like anything less than 6 pound mono/floro if you decide to go that route.

11. Member
    If you want a great finesse rod without breaking the bank look at the Major Craft Nanoace Worm/Jig rod.. Don’t let the worm/jig confuse you.. It’s feels like a Med spinning rod blank.. I paired mine up with a JDM Diawa Alphas 105 .. Fantastic for any finesse fishing techniques..,