Thinking about house or condo on Indian Lake vs Lake Erie

After 40 years of busting ass we are finally in a position to afford a lake condo or small house and are debating the pros and cons of purchasing at either Indian Lake or Lake Erie around Catawba.

As for our goals for enjoyment, I have the Ranger Reata fish and ski 180 and love the boat. I am into fishing and cruising around, my wife likes cruising and doesn't mind hanging for a few hours while I fish. But we both enjoy good meals, a few drinks and live music on occasion.

I know weather is the most important issue on Lake Erie potentially limiting time on the main lake but there are options to fish during blows on the rivers and harbors around the Catawba area. Indian has good fishing but obviously Lake Erie is much better. Another debate is drive time from Columbus to Erie vs Columbus to Indian Lake. 3 extra hours round trip to/from Erie is a drawback.

We're kicking around the pros and cons for each location and have started a short list...wouldn't mind input from anyone who weekends at either location.

I guess right now the biggest limiting factor, at least in my mind, is the boat and how much time I could actually spend chasing walleye and smallmouth with the occasional island run on the main lake each year.
    Former Owner of a 2007 Ranger 180 VS 150 2 Stroke Vmax

2. Member
    Lake Erie is my vote. So many fishing options. Rivers. bays. Main lake.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

3. Member
    Never in my life would I understand why someone would want to own a home on or around Indian.

Lake Erie by a million.

4. Member
    Definitely much more to do around Catawba

Another vote for Erie. Lots of places to fish, even if you can't get out on the main lake. Plus, tons of restaurants and other things to do.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

If small mouth is something you want to catch I wouldn’t pick indian as I have never caught one nor seen one weighed in.
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bling View Post
    If small mouth is something you want to catch I wouldn’t pick indian as I have never caught one nor seen one weighed in.
    4-5 pounders on the Miami branch at Indian all day

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bling View Post
    At least 3 smallmouth were weighed in during last years BFL on Indian.

9. Member
    Erie......... no question.
    2023 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    Erie and it isn't close.

11. Member
    After further discussion we will be turning our efforts on finding place at Erie around the Port Clinton to Sandusky area. Thanks for the input, I wasn't too enamored with Indian, my wife was.

12. Member
    even though i am close to indian and fish it a lot erie has more to offer and there are areas of indian that are runned down

13. Member

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    I have worked hard for that past 40 years, but not that hard...

15. Member
    There is no way I'd go to Indian Lake...weekend are nuts with a bunch of drunks. Lake Erie so big you can go anywhere to get away from the crowd. One option you might like is to get a nice big fishing boat for erie that you can live in. Just keep at the docks at a nice marina on Catawba. Thats what I would do anyway.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115