Thread: Fenders

Fenders

My fenders need new wood and carpet. I was thinking about using DIY roll on bedliner or flex seal roll on instead of carpet. My only concern is bumping/rubbing while loading my boat. Has anyone done this? how did it turn out?
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

2. Member
    I am about to replace my rotted fenders. Gonna cut wood half moon, gonna use router on the boat side edge to round it off. Gonna bed liner paint the inside tire part of the wood and carpet the boat side.
    RANGER BOATS

3. mikesxpress
    Starboard. Countersink the heads and bolt it on. You'll never have to touch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Starboard. Countersink the heads and bolt it on. You'll never have to touch it again.
    THIS^^^
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Just looked online and not as expensive as I thought it would be.

6. Member
    Ordered mine from Ranger Parts myself! They are just over a100.00 very good quality of material.

Just ordered a new fender for my Ranger. Will put a new backing on it, What is the thickness that is best, 1/4". 1/2".......?

8. mikesxpress
    1/2"

9. Member
    How thick is the original plywood?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    Just looked online and not as expensive as I thought it would be.
    Mcmaster is $230 4x8 sheet 1/2" + shipping
    Find a better deal?

Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Find a better deal?
    Whoa.....plywood looking better.

12. Member
    I just made Starboard liners for the new fenders i welded on my brothers 1999 Champion. Counter sunk the the heads real deep and put 3M 5200 over the screw heads so there is almost no chance of metal making contact with the hull.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Find a better deal?
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/..._starboard/526 $233 for 2 sheets at 16x64x1/2. Technically not as good a deal as $230 for a 4x8 sheet but it's the size I need and there will be very little scrap/waste left over.

14. Member
    How thick is the original plywood?
    1/2"

15. Member
    Richard, do you have any pics? I have to replace mine as well and have some time up here in the North East to tackle it myself. Just want to see what looks best.
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

16. Member
    I got the Gatorbaks done last weekend. I also replaced the boards since they were most likely nearly 21 years old. I used PT 2x6 and applied 3 coats of Kilz then I applied 3 coats of roll on bed liner. I did that while waiting for the Gatorbaks to arrive so they'd have plenty of time to cure. Getting the new bunks put on took a little longer than I expected since I had to cut off all but 4 of the original bolts. In hindsight, I should have just removed the tilt brackets and replaced them even though there was nothing wrong with them. I think it just would have been faster and easier.

My only question now is how long does it take for new boards to form to the hull? As you can see by the third pic, my outside bunks are barely touching the hull and you can see daylight all the way down.

Gatorbak1.JPGGatorbak2.JPGGatorbak3.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    I got the Gatorbaks done last weekend. I also replaced the boards since they were most likely nearly 21 years old. I used PT 2x6 and applied 3 coats of Kilz then I applied 3 coats of roll on bed liner. I did that while waiting for the Gatorbaks to arrive so they'd have plenty of time to cure. Getting the new bunks put on took a little longer than I expected since I had to cut off all but 4 of the original bolts. In hindsight, I should have just removed the tilt brackets and replaced them even though there was nothing wrong with them. I think it just would have been faster and easier.

My only question now is how long does it take for new boards to form to the hull? As you can see by the third pic, my outside bunks are barely touching the hull and you can see daylight all the way down.

Gatorbak1.JPGGatorbak2.JPGGatorbak3.JPG
    It’s not a problem if the outside bunks don’t touch the hull. Mine was that way from the factory and when I asked the regional rep about it he told me that is not a,problem. The hull is made to support the entire weight of the boat on the two middle bunks.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

18. mikesxpress
    James I experienced the same issue on my installation. Per my conversation with the Ranger trailer department manager at the time, he indicated they designed there trailers to assume full loading on the center bunks and the outside bunks were to assist in support. I disagree with this methodology and explained to him why I believe all the bunks should bear even weight. Ranger trailers began even bunk loading builds in 2017 and you don't see those gaps anymore.

With carpet installed the fluff hides these gaps. My install resulted in 1/4" gaps on both outside bunks. Unacceptable IMO. I added 3/8" aluminum spacers on each outside support bracket to even out the loading across all 4 bunks. The boat loads allot easier and straighter than it ever did previously.