MN politicians want to ban lead

https://www.startribune.com/dead-birds-fuel-push-for-minnesota-lead-tackle-ban/600019702/

Minnesota politicians want to ban lead. No sales or use. Contact you representatives if you don't believe this is reasonable. They are calling for this to go into effect immediately.

2. Member
    Are CO's really going to spend their time checking tackle to see if you are using lead? I can see lead being phased out (which it kinda is already), but Idk how you get all the anglers in MN to just toss the probably millions of dollars in lead tackle owned across the state.
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    ...and how would they get rid of the lead anyway? If banned, all the existing lead would probably end up in landfills and/or waste water eventually. My guess they will phase lead out gradually and not an over night decision. But again, this is Minnesota...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Are CO's really going to spend their time checking tackle to see if you are using lead? I can see lead being phased out (which it kinda is already), but Idk how you get all the anglers in MN to just toss the probably millions of dollars in lead tackle owned across the state.
    They don't have the time to enforce the 900 regs we already have let alone this.

5. Member
    I would be for not allowing sales of new products with lead, but like another poster commented, what about the pounds of lead I already have in my tackle boxes? Unless there was a buy-back program associated with this perhaps? Then I could see something where you get a certain amount per pound of baits with lead associated with them? Time to upgrade everything to tungsten :)

6. Member
    Yeah, gotta be a phase in deal... Just not practical at all otherwise.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    Yeah, gotta be a phase in deal... Just not practical at all otherwise.
    Since when is making sure a response is "reasonable" or "practical" a consideration of the DNR/government? Don't b surprised if its banned...
    -Kal