Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has anyone actually seen damage running off hose

I have periodically ran my motor off the flush valve from time to time. I’ve never had a issue but some say no way and muffs don’t even cut it. But has anyone ever actually damaged their impeller or water pump by running on the flush hookup

My 18 yr old Yammie has run a lot on the flush attachment and has never shown an issue.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Yamaha says not to do it........your choice, your money

4. Member
    Some say you need to cover the cavitation plate to properly "run" the motor. I have the nose cone and have not been impressed. I know others that use the nose cone and flush attachment and say it is ok..... +1 on tracer1's comment.

The operation manual for my V150TLRB states to not use the flushing connection to run the motor, so I have never considered using it to run the motor.

I fried my water pump while running the motor off of muffs. I don't have great water pressure and my motor won't pee out the top hole when running off muffs, so I only use a flush bucket now.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

Mine always ran cool on the flusher. I would run for a 1/2hr at a time while shock treating with sea foam. No more than 1500 rpms. I guess I have been lucky for 18 years lol btw. I have both. Temp gauge and water pressure gauge. Never burned up a water pump either.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    I never actually knew, when I bought my boat the dealer said thats what it is for. Ive been doing it for a few years until I came across the thread about not to do it. I suppose I should stop, but I never noticed any issues in doing so.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Yamaha says not to do it........your choice, your money
    Who knows the engine better than the designer. You might get away with it, many do but my thinking is why chance it. You might not burn the impeller up but you may be heating up other parts that need to be submerged in water and you may be accelerating the wear on those parts and the impeller. The problem or failure might not show up for a long time but you will be in for a repair nonetheless. I just know that things have a design intent and Yamaha says the design intent of the flush hose is just that, to flush a non-running engine as in flushing salt or brackish water from the engine block.

I use a water/trough (for lack of a better word) for watering livestock, plastic with a drain plug. Cost about 75-80 bucks at tractor supply. Yamaha muffs cost that, or more. The cavitation plate has to be completely covered. Mine is probably 6 inches above the plate. I don't doubt 21 & others haven't had a problem, I just usually don't have that kind of luck, lol.

The way the water pours down the mid into the lower and comes out the exhaust I don’t see any issue. I do it all the time. Changed a 3 year old impeller last spring that looked fine.

You would think that after 18 years of doing it for 1/2 hr each time..... 9hrs running time would show any issue. If thats not enough experience for you....

I’m only seeing posts from guys not having any problems. Op wants to hear from those that have had problems.

Too funny 21XDC , out of the 11 replies to the OP, 3 of them are yours saying its ok to use the flush port to run a unknown model Yamaha outboard motor.
    I don't know what I don't know, but are all Yamaha models the same as far as the water intake/cooling design?

OP, what model of Yamaha are you asking about?
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

14. Member
    2019 SHO 225. I have run it probably 3 times on the flush hose and before I had a 2012 SHO 200 I had run as well. Im replacing my water pump and impellar regardless but Im just curious if anyone has actually melted one down by running it on the flush port.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    Too funny 21XDC , out of the 11 replies to the OP, 3 of them are yours saying its ok to use the flush port to run a unknown model Yamaha outboard motor.
    I don't know what I don't know, but are all Yamaha models the same as far as the water intake/cooling design?

OP, what model of Yamaha are you asking about?

I’m still waiting for one post with problems LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I’m only seeing posts from guys not having any problems. Op wants to hear from those that have had problems.
    Reread post #2 & #6......You answered like all of us.

17. Member
    Since the OP did not tell us about his motor and did ask a Yes/No question. I'll answer no.

However, I did go and check the Owner's manual on my 2020 SHO. It clearly says to not run the motor on the flush hose, so I don't.

As long as it's under warranty, I'll follow the Owner's manual.

As tracer1 says, It's your choice, your money.

You can follow the manual, or follow the advice of a bunch of people you don't know on the Internet.

18. Member
    I ran lots of yamaha engines on flush port. The key is to have good pressure on hose. Worked many hours with yamaha service reps and used it also. They don't recommend it because they have no way of knowing if everyone has good enough pressure.

WHAT.......So You need good water pressure to run it on the flush hose connector. So let me ask you "experts".....what is the correct amount of WP? I'm not trying to convince anyone to use it or not use it as some on here are. As I said earlier, your choice, your money.......but don't try to convince other to do it because you have great water pressure. That's absurd.
    BTW, where in the owners manual does Yamaha not recommend it because of insufficient water pressure?.
    Last edited by tracer1; 02-14-2021 at 09:23 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    WHAT.......So You need good water pressure to run it on the flush hose connector. So let me ask you "experts".....what is the correct amount of WP? I'm not trying to convince anyone to use it or not use it as some on here are. As I said earlier, your choice, your money.......but don't try to convince other to do it because you have great water pressure. That's absurd.
    BTW, where in the owners manual does Yamaha not recommend it because of insufficient water pressure?.
    It's not listed in the owners manual. Never said it was. There is no spec for proper hose pressure to use port but there also isn't one for using the muffs. If we want to go by exactly what the manual says then show me where the manual says to use a trough to run engine. Not that that method doesn't work great. My point is use common sense when using the port. If you don't have good pressure on the hose do not use it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast