Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    I ought to leave this alone, but can't resist. It's cold out side. Skeeter's snowed in.

Do you actually know anyone whose engine blew up because he didn't change the oil per the manual, or whatever criteria we are following for oil changes? Yes

Or lower unit grease? Yes

Or water pump rebuilds? Yes

If you're lucky, you don't need to do any of this stuff, or as a minimum, you can double or triple the recommended intervals shown in the manual.

Yamaha only specifies those intervals for CYA protection, anyway.

It's your choice. It's your money.

From using the flush attachment: NO

I'm not getting where your argument is coming from. All you have stated is that you are old (like that means you know things), then claimed that people shouldn't listen to strangers on the internet, then you were a stranger on the internet that stated "you are crazy to not follow the manual," then implied that you do not follow the manual, then went on a rant about standard maintenance that had nothing to do with the conversation..

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just got a service manual for my Johnson Faststrike 150. This is a OMC service manual, not a aftermarket publication
    20210306_132006.jpg

But I still use a flush tank on my V150TLRB
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

3. Member
    I watched a Yamaha rep and a master Yamaha Tech run my Yamaha 250 SHO at idle speed on the flush connection for over 20 minutes without issue. I asked and they said you have to make sure you have good water pressure coming from the hose. If you have good pressure your all set.

Here is the best opinion I have to offer. If you have the low water pick ups throw that nose cone pc of crap away. Wipe it dry and put duct tape or even better shrinkwrap tape over the low water pick ups. Use only a set of duel feed muffs no matter what outboard you have. The hose connects to the front and deflects water evenly to both side of the pick ups. The ones that only inject water from one side do not do a proper job. Don't run the motor on the flush port. The only time we use that besides flushing out salt water motors is when we put an outboard on the dyno. Need to run two hoses on the motor to keep them from over heating. Even 65 psi of water pressure isnt enough using just the pick ups. Put a second hose on the flush port.
    Proud Army Dad

Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    Here is the best opinion I have to offer. If you have the low water pick ups throw that nose cone pc of crap away. Wipe it dry and put duct tape or even better shrinkwrap tape over the low water pick ups. Use only a set of duel feed muffs no matter what outboard you have. The hose connects to the front and deflects water evenly to both side of the pick ups. The ones that only inject water from one side do not do a proper job. Don't run the motor on the flush port. The only time we use that besides flushing out salt water motors is when we put an outboard on the dyno. Need to run two hoses on the motor to keep them from over heating. Even 65 psi of water pressure isnt enough using just the pick ups. Put a second hose on the flush port.
    the conventional muffs won't work on a SHO because there are no water pickups on the side of the lower unit. The only water pickups are in the nose. I have the overpriced pos Yamaha bra flushing attachment and it works fine. I have also used the flushing attachment for a brief time with no problems. The issue with the flushing attachment on the SHO is to make sure some water is coming out of the lower unit so the water pump is getting lubricated while the motor is running. And make sure the pisser is putting out some water on the engine. I wouldn't try to do power run ups or tuning on the flush attachment but to just make sure it starts is fine. Several boat landings in the area they have attendants who spray down the boat and trailer and want to flush the motor on the muffs to make sure you are not bringing in invasive species. I have them use the flushing attachment when in those situations.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    the conventional muffs won't work on a SHO because there are no water pickups on the side of the lower unit. The only water pickups are in the nose. I have the overpriced pos Yamaha bra flushing attachment and it works fine. I have also used the flushing attachment for a brief time with no problems. The issue with the flushing attachment on the SHO is to make sure some water is coming out of the lower unit so the water pump is getting lubricated while the motor is running. And make sure the pisser is putting out some water on the engine. I wouldn't try to do power run ups or tuning on the flush attachment but to just make sure it starts is fine. Several boat landings in the area they have attendants who spray down the boat and trailer and want to flush the motor on the muffs to make sure you are not bringing in invasive species. I have them use the flushing attachment when in those situations.
    Yes you are correct. I was describing the F series.
    Proud Army Dad

The bra leaks water out the back of it alongside the lower unit pretty bad and hard to stand near without getting wet but it does put water to the water pump. I have to wiggle it around to try to get it to seal a little better every time, but it does work enough to get the job done.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    Would duct tape help with the bra leakage out the back.....wrap it all the way around! Why not?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123