Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FG re-tie question

I spent the other night learning to tie the FG knot. Coming from a double unit and using 20 lb power pro to 6-8 lb fluoro, i used to retie my leader knot at a minimum every trip. Does the FG hold up longer or should it be retied at a similar frequency?

I've used and caught fish on two or three trips out with the same leader. Wouldn't do it in a tournament situation. I also use a little crazy glue on the knot.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

I think it depends on how you tie it, on some ways to tie, the finishing hitches can back out and unravel
    To fish or not to fish?
    What stupid question.

I leave mine until the leader gets too short.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    I do to.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbitef11 View Post
    I think it depends on how you tie it, on some ways to tie, the finishing hitches can back out and unravel
    Don't trim the tags (especially the fluorocarbon/mono) until you clinch the knot good and tight. Lighter line will side right on through if you trim the tags before the clinch. Learned this one from the Salt Strong folks.

7. Member
    I tie a new one when my leader gets too short... I've had fg knots hold up all season on heavier line

I tie a new leader each trip.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    Same here, never had one break since I learned to tie it correctly.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    I tie a new one when my leader gets too short... I've had fg knots hold up all season on heavier line
    as much as I have tried to tie this knot it might take me a whole season just to tie it, 15lb braid to 8lb floro is so small I just can't do it

11. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandone View Post
    as much as I have tried to tie this knot it might take me a whole season just to tie it, 15lb braid to 8lb floro is so small I just can't do it
    Try the GT knot (easier)
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

12. Member
    I was struggling to tie the FG knot until I watched this video by Ott Defoe: I tied three leaders in under 10 minutes after watching how he used the rod and reel to keep tension on the braided line. It made tying this knot much easier for me.

13. Member
    nice video, dont have to hold it in your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by SDFD29 View Post
    I was struggling to tie the FG knot until I watched this video by Ott Defoe: I tied three leaders in under 10 minutes after watching how he used the rod and reel to keep tension on the braided line. It made tying this knot much easier for me.
    i have tried and my knot completely unravels on me, I’m using power pro super slick and after my problems read that slick braid is bad for the FG, anyone else experience this? I’m certain I’m tying it right, hitches and all. Haven’t tried with a diff brand because I hate to waste a spool of braid because I’m trying to learn a new knot. Plus I really like super slick v2

15. Member
    I use power pro super slick and the FG knot. Increase your loops from 22 to about 35 or 40 wraps and it will not slip. I only use the power pro super slick braided line and I love the combination. You just have to wrap more loops.

I tie it Like Ott is doing, seemed to be the simplest to do out in the boat if needed. Tried most of the other ways I have seen, and this method just works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
    I use power pro super slick and the FG knot. Increase your loops from 22 to about 35 or 40 wraps and it will not slip. I only use the power pro super slick braided line and I love the combination. You just have to wrap more loops.
    Awesome, I indeed do the 22 wraps, I’ll increase it 40 or so. Thanks for the info

18. Member
    I struggle with the lighter floro leaders of 8lbs and less. Seem to work better with a little heavier lbs. test.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    I struggle with the lighter floro leaders of 8lbs and less. Seem to work better with a little heavier lbs. test.
    An FG can be tied on line strength down to 4lb. The biggest issue on lighter fluoro seems to be slippage when attempting to cinch the FG. When this happens, tie an overhand knot in the tag end if the fluoro close to the FG knot. When you re-cinch the FG, it will slide down to the overhand knot and lock in place tight as a drum. A little liquid superglue and have complete confidence that knot will neither slip nor fail.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    Try the GT knot (easier)
    I have been using the Shin Fukae knot, its fast , easy, and comes thru the guides good. I haven't broke a knot yet as long as you remember its not 20# floro on the hook set

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast