Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjack View Post
    Nitro boats now offer Tracker Lithium WRM100-HP starting battery and 3 WRM80-HP Lithium Batteries (36 volt trolling motor system) in the 2022 Z21 boat options. These boats also allow for jumping batteries in case the cranking battery goes dead. If Lithium batteries at not allowed by Mercury for cranking why does Nitro offer this option?
    Read reply #5 in this topic and pay heed to Don's comments about to whom the question should be posed - New Nitro - Z21 XL - Factory Option for Lithium
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nitro boats now offer Tracker Lithium WRM100-HP starting battery and 3 WRM80-HP Lithium Batteries (36 volt trolling motor system) in the 2022 Z21 boat options. These boats also allow for jumping batteries in case the cranking battery goes dead. If Lithium batteries at not allowed by Mercury for cranking why does Nitro offer this option?
    That's a question for Nitro. Mercury has made it clear that any problems related to the use of Lithium Batteries must be addressed by the Battery Installer (they will not cover them).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    So it sounds like we should get a small AGM that meets requirements for starting then run a separate lithium house battery to power all the other stuff on the boat.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    So it sounds like we should get a small AGM that meets requirements for starting then run a separate lithium house battery to power all the other stuff on the boat.
    That would be one option... though it wouldn't be a "small" AGM, and you would spend a considerable amount on the additional Lithium-House battery (as well as need to charge it solely by means of a separate or onboard charger).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I don't care about a "go fast" boat by gaining a few mph top end/1-2 second gain up on plane speed with the lithiums.

I'm getting (5) X2 31 series AGM's in my new rig with the 250 Merc 4s....

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Member
    seems a lot of pros are pushing the lithium batteries for cranking and power requirements for their electronics
    i guess its who pays the bills and not what the manufacturer requires

7. Member
    I'll ride my stock AGM in my brand new Merc until it no longer can do it's job. After, that it will be lithium with a proven BMS.

8. Member
    Guys, i dealt with Mercury and warranty for over 21 years, when Merc sends these bulletins out worded like this then you are screwed if you go against the grain on warranty period!! Its sometimes hard enough to get some items covered under warranty sometimes so dont push your luck unless you have a lot of cash to back up a expensive warranty repair turned down by Mercury because you went against the system!! Its pretty well black and white in their warranty the way Don has presented it to you, Mercury is Mercury not Nitro, Ranger or any other boat manufactories.

9. Member
    Brunswick Marine has now bought Relion batteries. Do you think they may decide now that Lithium is OK with Mercury (they own them both)?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncggun View Post
    Brunswick Marine has now bought Relion batteries. Do you think they may decide now that Lithium is OK with Mercury (they own them both)?
    Read Don's reply in this topic - BRUNSWICK aquires Relion Battery
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncggun View Post
    I don’t doubt that it will happen (eventually). Won't hold my breath waiting, however.

I also don’t doubt that the underlying purpose for this acquisition is quite a bit broader than starting batteries. Starting batteries "might" have been a tiny radar blip amongst the way-larger considerations.

12. Member
    Don, if the cranking battery is a AGM and if it goes dead while out, can you use the perko switch to jump the cranking battery with a lithium ion trolling motor battery? Would this void the Mercury warranty by jump starting the cranking battery?

Thanks for your input.

Steve
    2019 Z21 Nitro
    2019 Mercury 250L Serial # 2B644821 with 23" Fury SS Prop
    Bobs Machine Shop 12" Hydraulic Jackplate
    52" Minn Kota 112# Ultrex with i-Pilot Link
    2-12' Minn Kota Talons
    Minn Kota Mega 360
    Solix 12 Mega SI & G2
    Solix 10 Mega SI & G2
    Hydrowave 2

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don, if the cranking battery is a AGM and if it goes dead while out, can you use the perko switch to jump the cranking battery with a lithium ion trolling motor battery? Would this void the Mercury warranty by jump starting the cranking battery?

Thanks for your input.

Steve
    "Voiding a Warranty" is an extremely rare circumstance. For the purposes of emergency jump-starting, you're not installing and consistently running the "jump" power source. As long as connections are made in CORRECT POLARITY, and the secondary source is REMOVED from the circuit after the engine is running and voltage has recovered, there should not be a problem.

Keep in mind: This goes back to the subject of VOLTAGE and BATTERY POWER being an absolute NECESSITY with these engines. Consider it a SAFETY requirement!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-05-2021 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

14. Member
    Thanks for info Don.
    2019 Z21 Nitro
    2019 Mercury 250L Serial # 2B644821 with 23" Fury SS Prop
    Bobs Machine Shop 12" Hydraulic Jackplate
    52" Minn Kota 112# Ultrex with i-Pilot Link
    2-12' Minn Kota Talons
    Minn Kota Mega 360
    Solix 12 Mega SI & G2
    Solix 10 Mega SI & G2
    Hydrowave 2

15. Member
    so if im reading this correctly,my new 2022 ranger that has a 200 pro xs that came with a brand new interstate group 31 flooded battery already needs a new battery??

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST!!!!!!

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hanker71 View Post
    so if im reading this correctly,my new 2022 ranger that has a 200 pro xs that came with a brand new interstate group 31 flooded battery already needs a new battery??
    Yup.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yup.
    holy smokes,that sux!

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST!!!!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanker71 View Post
    I just went through this with my 2021 Nitro with 200 Pro XS V8. Came with the Insterstate Groupe 31 AGM (925 CCA). It has failed twice within a year. No longer bothering with warranty, I bought an Odyssey AGM with 1150 CCA. You might take your motor owners manual back to the Ranger dealer and show them the battery requirements.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

19. Member
    New battery tech will win in the near future
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

20. Member

Hmmm…
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast