Removing Ultrex for Repair

Where can I find a good "How to Remove the Ultrex" so I can take to a ASC for minor repair. I have searched the threads, but just bits and pieces but not a step by step procedure. Any help?

Additional comment, I cannot fully deploy the trolling motor sitting on the trailer. My boat is a Ranger Z520L, the bow step prevents the motor from being fully deployed vertically. I can put a 2 x 4 under the aluminum swing arm to keep it up at an angle to not touch the step or put a towel or cushion on the step for the shaft to rest on but it still is not fully vertical. I guess one could remove the step from the trailer if needed.
    Last edited by RGK456; 02-10-2021 at 07:14 AM.

2. Member
    Where the rope goes through the Bow Guard there is an Allen bolt. !/4" Allen. Unscrew it. With the motor between stowed and deployed push the motor towards the head of the moto. It will slid up and off. You will need to get help to do this. Be careful of the upper arm because it will want to spring up to go into the stored position.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Where the rope goes through the Bow Guard there is an Allen bolt. !/4" Allen. Unscrew it. With the motor between stowed and deployed push the motor towards the head of the moto. It will slid up and off. You will need to get help to do this. Be careful of the upper arm because it will want to spring up to go into the stored position.
    Thanks, guess I could tie the upper arm so it couldn't spring back up?

When the thing is stowed, the first part of travel is not sprung. You can feel this when starting to deploy. Just think it through you will be ok
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Can you not raise the motor enough to clear the step? Other wise like others have said you will want an extra set of hands.
    Fish have fins, they swim

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Can you not raise the motor enough to clear the step? Other wise like others have said you will want an extra set of hands.
    The step keeps the shaft from being fully deployed in the vertical position. Not sure I can raise the motor higher than the step, will try that as well tonight.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    The step keeps the shaft from being fully deployed in the vertical position. Not sure I can raise the motor higher than the step, will try that as well tonight.
    Is it like a trick step or the big platform step on the trailer? I guess I was imaging you could get it high enough to get above the big step seeing that the ultrex can be raised till the prop hits the boat basically

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Is it like a trick step or the big platform step on the trailer? I guess I was imaging you could get it high enough to get above the big step seeing that the ultrex can be raised till the prop hits the boat basically
    It is the factory Ranger trailer step pad, not the trick step. (Poor design if you ask me).

I have it down to two options:

1) unlatch and deploy enough to remove detach the piston from the swing arm or:

2) push the shaft up high enough to allow the swing arm to latch and then unbolt the head.

Thoughts?

Block of wood in the mount (motor deployed) that doesn't allow it to go all the way down, like a piece of 4x4.
    2B576211

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    It is the factory Ranger trailer step pad, not the trick step. (Poor design if you ask me).

I have it down to two options:

1) unlatch and deploy enough to remove detach the piston from the swing arm or:

2) push the shaft up high enough to allow the swing arm to latch and then unbolt the head.

Thoughts?
    Push the shaft up high enough to get into deployed position. I found it's easier to take on and off when it's in the deployed position.

11. Member
    I have a 521 with that same step in the way. I place a block of wood across mount, then deploy Tm down on top of that. Next I put a strap around it, to keep arm from flying up. Have done it a few times now and it works fine.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

You can always take the head off and slide the shaft out thru the steering box. Be easier than removing your step if the shaft wont slide up far enough to clear.. Unless you have something zip tied to the lower part of the shaft it should slide up until the motor hits the steering box. Or you run out of cable.

13. Member
    I’m telling you follow the steps in post #11, it’s easy peasy.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

14. Member
    If only minor repair is needed, can't the ASC do it on the boat?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

15. Member
    Thanks everyone, I got it off by just unlatching, raising a few inches and supporting to take tension off. Then unbolted and came right off.

Yes, the ASC was supposed to work it on the boat Friday, but bad cold weather predicted for Friday and they would need to work outdoors.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    I have a 521 with that same step in the way. I place a block of wood across mount, then deploy Tm down on top of that. Next I put a strap around it, to keep arm from flying up. Have done it a few times now and it works fine.
    Is it possible for you to take a video or a picture of how you place the strap? I have the same problem with my trailer step. Also, I'll have a Mega 360 attached. Will this still work?
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Ultrex 80lb 52” iPilot Link
    Bow Mount Humminbird Helix 10
    Cockpit Mount Humminbird Helix 9
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock