Trick to have dry bilge?

I'm not a huge fan of the location of the bilge remote plug on my 1880. Cant see the back side of it from inside the compartment. But it appears since there is no lowest point on the stern, water doesn't clear out as much as I would like, no matter how high I have the jack raised. Guessing maybe .25-.5" of water in the back. Some sort of pump? Rags?

2. Member
    I have the exact same issue asked Vexus about it no help

Turkey Baster?
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    My bilge area stays drier than kamala harris' husband hang low.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

5. Member
    If your worried about that small amount open drain plug when your done at the ramp should be empty by the time you use it next

Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    If your worried about that small amount open drain plug when your done at the ramp should be empty by the time you use it next
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Wampolec View Post
    My bilge area stays drier than kamala harris' husband hang low.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    I've never had a remote plug seal completely on any of my boats. And I have always ended up removing them and installing a threaded plug. And the remote plug on my 2080 is no different. After turning it to closed I have to reach down and push it real hard to get it to seal. So you might be getting a little water in through the plug. I just use a wet/dry vac to get whatever residual is left when I get home.

9. Member
    Throw a Shammy in the bilge when you park it and then take it out the next day. Ring it and put it back in if you need to, then repeat. My old tin rig had a standard plug but I had the same problem. I cut a piece of Shammy and fed it in from the outside and laid it in the bilge. It was draped out of the hole. This would wick all of the water out of the bilge area. Too bad that doesn't work with the remote drain plugs.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

I would get a large yellow sponge and get it pinned in a vertical orientation somehow, this will wick it up and dry it out. Also leave the battery hatch open in the garage.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Banned
    Are you adding a little (ring-safe!) grease to the o-ring on the remote plug to be sure it is seating/sealing? I need to do that about 1x/yr.

12. Member
    I have an AVX 1980, which I absolutely love, but have the same problem with the remote drain plug contraption. It really doesn't seal the hole on it's own and the the hull takes on a good bit of water. I have to give the plug a really hard push and then remove with needle nose at the end of the day. I'll try Brimster's suggestion with the ring-safe grease. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll try changing it out with a different set up..

13. Banned
    The issue you're describing is exactly the same one I was facing. I was getting ready to replace the whole contraption and someone told me to replace the o-ring (just slides on and off) and be sure it is greased. Problem solved. It is super-easy to open/close and sealed up really well. Only thing I've done since is wiping and regreasing the o-ring every several months. Hope it works for you too!

14. Member
    I'm pretty confident I haven't gotten any water coming in from the plug. This is from rain and water from the top deck and such.

15. Member
    Yes, the drain plug is higher than the lowest point in the bilge. I get a small amount of water standing there also. I have been propping up the battery compartment door with water bottles to let it dry out as much as possible. Thought of putting a sponge or towel there to wick it out, but it would just get moldy probably.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

16. Member
    You could also dump some Star Brite Bilge Cleaner in there. That will at least keep the mold and smell down. I did that with my old Tracker. It works.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

For many years I have always thrown a bar of Lava soap in my bilge area. Keeps pumps and everything clean.