How much do you Charge?

I have built custom rods for friends just for the cost of materials or given them the rods. I have built about thirty five rods and can build a decent rod. I have never wanted to do this for profit However I have a business associate who I have built two rods for the cost of materials. I generally do not like to make more than two for anyone. He gives them to his clients.
    He insists that he will pay me for my time on the next ones. So what is my time worth? It will have trim rings and decorative thread. How much do you charge to build a rod not including materials ?

2. Member
    You're time is worth whatever you want it to be worth. Most rods I build don't take more than 2 hours of actual work so I'm happy with $40-$50/hour.

I charge retail cost of the components + $10 for shop supplies (thread, epoxy, paper towels etc) + $75 to build + any shipping (components or to the customer). 90% of what I build for people are friends, friends of friends, etc.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    You're time is worth whatever you want it to be worth. Most rods I build don't take more than 2 hours of actual work so I'm happy with $40-$50/hour.

I charge retail cost of the components + $10 for shop supplies (thread, epoxy, paper towels etc) + $75 to build + any shipping (components or to the customer). 90% of what I build for people are friends, friends of friends, etc.
    Thanks that seems reasonable.

4. Member
    $100 for assembly and consumables (epoxy, finish)
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle