Thread: How far/How bad

How far/How bad

Was wondering how long it takes to get from port lake to sullivans....understanding that the lock comes into play. Also how bad is the run. Looking at a map and google earth, it looks kinda scary. If I stay in main channel/follow marker buoys on main river will I be fine?
    I know and can see, once you come off the main river it gets interesting!
    Thanks

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd say from Port Lake to Lock 5, about 15 mins.-20 mins., run from the lock to Sullivans is about 30 mins. +/-......i guess those times are dependent of your boat going 65 mph or 85 mph.....as for he locks, river boats/barge traffic always has first "rights" to the locks, rec boaters have to wait. If no traffic and depending on number of boats, it could be an easy 40 min. lock thru....typically someone has the lockmasters phone # and calls ahead to find out about barge traffic and opening locks up prior to boats getting there.

If the buoy markers are there you can follow but my guess from the last several years of the river flooding some are missing so i wouldn't depend on them being there..... Also if water was recently higher than normal prior to your arrival or during, it can be scary cause there can/will be floaters (some whole trees) floating that can cause some damage. You should be safe mostly in the center, but some areas aren't necessarily in the center......if you have a Navionics card the markers should be shown.

One of our members made a video years ago and posted on Youtube that shows his run from Lock 5 to Sullivans......."BASS Open Red River Day 1 Takeoff, lock 5 to Sullivans" by Scott McGehee.....

When is the tournament??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Be in town March 8th, for 3 pre-fish days, and the Tournament is 11/12 and hopefully the 13th if i make the cut. I really appreciate the info. Never been through a lock before so it should be interesting.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm live 2 hrs south which is Pool 2. Down here the main river is still muddy with current, so i'm assuming the same up there which it was just a few weekends ago when i was in Shreveport. With that said, just be careful on the main channel and look out for floaters and they could also be just below the surface.....now come November, should be good, assuming we didnt have any rain events to raise the water or events up in Oklahoma that would make its way down to Shreveport.

Think he’s saying the tourney is on March 11th-12th. Don’t waste any time on the main rover this time of year, also be very very careful while running. During your practice set a track and stay on it.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Now that read it again, I think your right.....

7. Member
    Ya its in March. Thats the plan...get a line and stay on it. The tricky part is getting that line. Thats why i asked the questions. Debris I get. Deal with it every yr here.
    Thanks guys for your input, and if ya'll think of anything else give me a shout, please. Now just gotta figure out the lock....never been in one before.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    As for the lock, if there are plenty of other boats, just park next to one and hold onto their boat......if you use off to a mooring post, make sure its the one that floats and dont tie it just loop rope around and hold with hand.....idle in and idle out....

Here is a quick video of a lock on the RR. You can do google search's and see plenty of videos.

9. Member
    Ya I watched it. It was helpful. Looking at the map I have, it looks sketchy, but watching that helped. I thank you guys!
    Is there set times for the locks?
    Dose it differ from week days to weekends?
    If not, how do you get their attention to open them?

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    There is no time for locks and dont matter the day.....i will say river commercial traffic (tug boats and bargef traffic) take precedent over fishing boats, if they are there or about to approach, you have to wait till they lock thru, so that can take an hour or how ever long....

To get their attention: at the start of the concrete walls (up stream and down stream), you should see a sign and long rope. You pull on the rope and that will signal the lock master that you are there. Stay at the end of wall so he can see you and then as the doors start to open, you can idle up and into the lock.

Some people have the lock masters phone number and can call a head to open the locks or check to see if there is any barge traffic coming thru but i dont know how one would obtain that phone number.

11. Member
    Thanks brother!

You can probably follow all the other boats going that way!

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    ^^^That would be the easiest cause i'm sure there will alot locking thru.

14. Member
    It’s an easy run that will take around 45 minutes, maybe an hour if the water is rough, if the lock is ready when you get there. Looking at around thirty minutes after you lock. You can see the buoy’s in advance so no blind spots. At the mouth of Sutherland’s swing wide and enter from the south side of the mouth due to a sandbar that comes way out. If you run down to the Jungle be careful. The whole mouth is silted in. I actually run around the corner of the jetty and run through a small cut about ten feet wide instead of running the main cut.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Let's us know how it turned out.....right now in Pool 2, water is up about 3'-4' muddy and lots of current...