96 evinrude intruder

First off I値l have to get the serial numbers tomorrow, but having trouble with the motor not turning over 4500 rpms it is a evinrude intruder 175 on a 96 Stratos 285 pro xl. Took it to a mechanic an he told me he fixed it, so to the lake I went with the same problems. Loaded it back up an took it back to him he went over it again an told me it was fixed so I go back an get it, he says he ran the motor with the boat on the trailer an it was fine. I was slightly pissed when I heard that because I知 sure all the pressure is not very good for the boat, but anyways took back to the lake an same problems the boat will not turn over 4500 rpms which is around 48 mph. This boat would run 63-65 full load an 2 people. I installed a electric fuel pump an did away with the primer bulb, replaced all the fuel lines to the motor an from the tanks. I知 no mechanic by no means but everything I hear about these motors is theres nothing to them really so before hauling it 4 hours to a buddy who has the same boat an said he will fix it I知 looking at trying to get a idea if I could possibly do it myself. It has a 23 pitch raker on it. Thanks for any help in advanced.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The raker would have had to been worked to the 23 pitch as the original raker is a even pitch prop. It is never a good idea to install an automotive style fuel pump. There is also no issue with running the motor while on the trailer it is done all the time. Motor does need to be trimmed up though. Need to check your timing both idle and WOT, check spark and ignition components to verify their functionality. There's more to it than nothing to them.

3. Member
    Next time your at the lake try bumping the choke to see if it helps. If it does then you are having a fuel problem. If not then probably an electrical issue. My 1993 150 intruder did the same thing you are experiencing and my problem was the stator. I replaced stator and powerpack and my problem went away.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

4. Member
    Could it be your throttle linkage roller missing?