2002 Vmax ox66 200HP

My engine cranks up fine every morning when I first launch the boat. After a long run and fish a little bit it starts getting tough to start. It may take up to 6 or 7 tries before it turns over and starts. Sometimes here a clicking noise, sometimes it starts but then dies when I put in gear. Have to push the hotfoot down all the way sometimes and it starts that way. Big cloud of smoke blows out every time it starts (even if it starts without pushing the hot foot down). I was having some surging issues back in September and changed the 02 sensor and it fixed that problem. I do change the VST and primary fuel filter every year, run ring free religiously, and put new plugs last August and clean them on occasion. Was almost late to a tournament weigh in last week cause of this so I’m determined to figure this out. I almost ordered all three fuel pumps but would like to hear some other opinions. To me it seems like it's not getting the proper amount of fuel to start.
    I have seen a lot of talk about the fuel pump relay, could a bad relay cause this? or maybe my starter is going bad

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by SkeeterWest1; 02-08-2021 at 04:59 PM.

2. Member
    Need to see if you can hear the fuel pump running when it won’t start. I had my FP relay go out last fall. It just shut off running and then wouldn’t start. Finally started and then did it again. When I couldn’t get it to start, the FP made no noise.
    I kept hitting key and when it finally kicked on the pump, it started on first crank.

3. Member
    Thanks 201pro I will listen for that

4. Member
    I had the same exact issue with the fuel pump relay on my OX66 last year.

5. Member
    I have an 03. Sounds very similar to what mine was doing. I changed the low pressure pumps didn’t fix it. Changed my o2 sensor. Been running good. Possibly need to change o2 sensor again

6. Member
    I cleaned the 02 sensor good yesterday. There was quite a bit of carbon deposit build up on the tube inside there. I also changed the primer bulb since I found out it wouldn't hold firm. Put new spark plugs and changed filters. We'll see how it fires next week. I can hear the fuel pump prime for about 5 seconds when I turn the key. Need to test on the water though when the engine is acting funny. If I'm having the same issue next week I'll probably order the relay. Thanks