Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

What determines your chatterbait blade color?

Hey guys, I have a favorite chatterbait, the BHightDelight JackHammer. Hands down this thing catches more fish for me than ANY other color but I like to have “logic” sometimes so how do you guys determine what color blade you fish?

I have always based my chatterbait color based on the skirt/head color as much or more than the blade.

This weekend my tournament conditions are going to be sloppy! 65-72 degrees, rain forecasted for the whole day, this warm front should make them really move shallow to spawn, pretty clear water.

I have my favorite tied on but with the clouds, rain, and warming temps I swear logic says to go with more flash!

Thanks everyone, Chris
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    I personally don't really worry about blade color, just skirt color. That BHightDelight color is my favorite as well. I'll add more chartreuse to the trailer if I want more visibility.

I don't choose a bait based on blade color, but skirt color. All my blades are silver except I use a brown blade with a green pumpkin colored skirt and black blades on a Firecraw bait and black/blue bait. I rarely throw the black/blue and only throw the Firecraw in the spring. I tried a copper blade on a few baits and could not see any difference in strikes.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

There have been times where I felt having a blade with no flash or one with flash mattered, but day in and day out it's way, way down my list of things that I think about in throwing a chatterbait. All else equal I kind of prefer no flash, so a painted black/gp blade. It's not like you need flash for the fish to know there's a chatterbait around...they make plenty of racket to accomplish that!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    I don’t think you need any flash either. I guess if you think you need to try some flash I’d go with a gold blade with those conditions. And I’d try a Brett’s Bluegill with a green pumpkin or hot snakes razor shad. I’m with you on the BHite Delight though. Probably my favorite Jackhammer with Hites Hot Craw coming in 2nd.

6. Member
    So all you no flash guys,what’s your take on the new Zman clear blades?
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    I haven’t used them but the Stealth Blade has a smaller blade all together. Sounds like less vibration

8. Member
    The blade is definitely smaller
    Red Sox in 6!

I don't think the (lack of) color on the Stealth Blades is ultimately what makes them unique. Instead, I think it's the completely different vibration and sound you get from a plastic blade vs a metal one. The size definitely plays into that as well.

I've experimented a lot with opening up chatterbaits and switching out different size and style (metal) blades. I've not noticed the general shape of the blade making much difference (Z-Man "coffin" shape vs the other round or "heart" shaped blades out there), but the shape of the area on the blade near where it attaches can change the vibration pretty dramatically (e.g., some have a V-shaped notch cut there), and the size definite changes things--the smaller the blade the faster and more subtly it vibrates.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

10. Member
    Whatever color the manufacturer puts with the skirt color I want. It may make a small difference on certain lakes or conditions, but the skirt color and vibration is what they're going after.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Whatever color the manufacturer puts with the skirt color I want. It may make a small difference on certain lakes or conditions, but the skirt color and vibration is what they're going after.
    ^this