Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I've always been told that it's okay, and a good idea, to wax the bottom of the boat just not the pad.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

Don't they wax them before they leave the factory? Not sure I understand why its bad to wax a fairly new boat.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Been washing,polishing,and waxing this boat for 30 years,,,it has not dissolved yet.Attachment 439995
    That is a perfect example of why we should all take care of our stuff. Looks awesome.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Don't they wax them before they leave the factory? Not sure I understand why its bad to wax a fairly new boat.
    That's why I asked, I want to do the best thing. To many ideas out here, I want some solid back ground. Fiberglass guys, paint guys or girls.

5. Member
    I don’t think they do, maybe just a spray wax or maybe a good boat dealer would do it before you pick it up (definitely not cabelas where I got mine haha). I waxed mine before it hit the water and it definitely needed it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I don’t think they do, maybe just a spray wax or maybe a good boat dealer would do it before you pick it up (definitely not cabelas where I got mine haha). I waxed mine before it hit the water and it definitely needed it.
    They have to buff them.out after they come out of the mold.

7. Member
    They have to buff them.out after they come out of the mold.
    definitely didn’t feel like mine had much wax on it. Also had been hauled across the country too though, probably had been a while since the glass was buffed.

8. Member
    Dont worry OP I'm just about as confused as you when it comes to this....... Should I wax and buff in spring then use spray wax during summer, use protech, then spray wax, the list goes on and on....

9. Member
    Yeah Buddy! More research!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Dont worry OP I'm just about as confused as you when it comes to this....... Should I wax and buff in spring then use spray wax during summer, use protech, then spray wax, the list goes on and on....
    i mean honestly if you are that worried about it, it will be fine. I like a coat of marine wax per year and spray wax every couple times out of the water, but no set rules really matter.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    i mean honestly if you are that worried about it, it will be fine. I like a coat of marine wax per year and spray wax every couple times out of the water, but no set rules really matter.
    Not worried about it, just don't want to waste time and money on something I can get right the first time.
    To protect that investment is good. But my old hiney just wants to do this once, if I was 30 again, I'd buff that sucker all year!
    The fact is, waxing and polishing has changed, ceramic sealants is the new trend. So far most of the research has found this,
    Clean it well, get all old wax off, apply sealant, let dry for 24hrs, repeat. Then you can use a spray mist to maintain the surface.

There is a bunch of different suppliers, so far Pro Tec is the leader on simple clean, apply, maintain.
    I'm still looking on the net, but it's filled full of rabbit hole promises. Still searching!

12. Member
    Protec is proven. Sounds like ya got it. Exactly what i do. 2 coats of protec in the spring. Spray wax (hot sauce) thru the year. Do it again next spring. Depends on where you live and how many hours you put in time on water. If you fish all year round id do another protec coat in the fall. But our water here gets hard. So spring cleaning is when gel coat gets fixed if needed, buffed, sealed, sparkling!

13. Member
    If it is a new boat I would wash it with dawn then wax the boat. After boating wipe it down with one of the many detailing products Lucas slick mist, hot sauce or others. That is the simple option there are many other choices as people have mentioned.

14. Member
    Went for the Pro-Tech, bought the restoration kit. I have a old 79 Terry cm I'm
    going to give to my son. Figured I could once over the top cap.
    Thanks for the opinions!

15. Member
    When I bought my new Legend in 2006 I was told about “bass boat savor”. Wipe down with it on a wet rage and dry off.It protects from the sun but also keeps scum and bugs from sticking. The Protestants build up as you use it . I use it on my motorcycle and truck too. My bike has never been washed only wiped down.Its also great on wind screens and seats.

16. Member
    I simply wash and wax mine with a good wax/polish such as Starbrite and wipe it off the old fashioned way with elbow grease. It looks new and in showroom condition. I recently sold my 2008 Triton TR-186 for $2500 more dollars than I paid for it in August, 2013. The buyer said it looked new but I also keep all my boats garaged which helps as well.

The object of a wax or Polymer sealant is to keep oxidation from happening to your gelcoat.

3 things are needed for Oxidation to occur :

Oxygen, Heat and UV radiation.

Eliminate one of the three and you will slow down the process.

A good wax or sealant will help to eliminate this process. The wax layer diffuses (refracts) both UV ultraviolet and infrared radiation from the sun.

Without the wax/sealant coating, the UV radiation is absorbed by the pigment in the gel coat causing it to over heat. Once the gel gets too hot a chemical reaction process starts that will dry out, dull and oxidize the surface.

Once oxidation gets too bad, the actual clear Gel coat or top layer on solid color gel will start to turn cloudy. This whitish color is a combination of a chemical breakdown in the gel that causes a powdery white dust to form ( plastic rust ). This white powder residue combines with other surface contaminants ( dirt/pollution,etc).

This powdery substance will settle in the pores in the gelcoat, this is why you see the whitish, dull looking areas on boats that are not kept waxed.

One of the highest rated carnauba paste waxes is Collonite Heavy Duty Fleetwax, it's used by the high end saltwater people, has tested to last the longest.

If using a hard paste wax like Collonite, a boat should be waxed a few times a season minimum as any carnauba wax is susceptible to high heat in the high 90's and will eventually start to melt off after a couple months, especially when subjected to friction on the water.

http://www.waxbytes.com/marine.html

A better option is to use a Polymer sealer on the gelcoat to keep it protected from the UV rays of the sun. The Polymer sealants will bond to the polyester gelcoat and form a glossy layer that is mostly impervious to UV radiation and contaminants.
    Generally a one time application in spring and wipe downs with a quick spray wax like Bass Boat Saver after use is sufficient to keep gelcoat looking new.

Pro-Tec makes an excellent polymer sealer for the gelcoat, bonds to the glass and seals the pores to help prevent oxidation.

http://www.protecproducts.com/products.html

18. Member
    ^ This is what I found during my web hunt. Thanks BassCat7. I feel better about what I found
    and what I went with. The pro-tec.

19. Member
    THIS!!!
    ive been using Protec for over 20 years, and I’m convinced that there is NOTHING better you can put on a fiberglass hull.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwhitten View Post
    THIS!!!
    ive been using Protec for over 20 years, and I’m convinced that there is NOTHING better you can put on a fiberglass hull.
    Same here https://protecproducts.com/ is ALL YOU NEED!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast