Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Thermostat cleaning when motor is warm to the touch.??

Serial #2B089362 Pro XS 200

Always have cleaned them when motor had not been ran for days/weeks. Today got trash in them, came home and decided to clean. Motor was warm to the touch (about an hr. Since I had cut it off and drove home), relieved fuel rail pressure, loosened bottom fuel rail nut, proceed to top nut, rail still straight and didn't move.... As top nut got loose enough I heard a pop and bottom of rail pull away from head (slight gap).....nut was still on stud......

I"ve done it at the ramp before after it wouldnt warm up and didnt get that "pop".......

Am I correct in saying this was just built up pressure? Scared to touch it now.... This was on the starboard side fuel rail....

One other thing, there is a gap between the grey collar a fuel rail....not sure if its been like that or not. THis with the rails properly torqued......

Last edited by fishin couillon; 02-07-2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added pic
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    always relieve pressure on air side before removing rail if engine has been started , dont be scard just a lil poot when you loosened rails check all the o rigs and wake sure rails are seated against injectors no gaps before torque
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    always relieve pressure on air side
    Are you referring to the fuel rail pressure?? Or something else??

4. Member
    air psi /air side of system not fuel psi, valve on port rail
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Gotcha.....

Hopefully last question....Orings, does require whole rail coming off to check them?? If so, not sure about doing that my self so may just bring to shop to get them checked. I've never taken a the rails off....

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you remove the nuts from the retaining studs, you can slide the rail back far enough to inspect the large (inlet) o-ring on the DI's (Direct Injectors). That would be the o-ring that would normally sustain damage if you had not relieved air pressure on the PORT side rail (air pressure).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'll try to take a look at it this evening.......i can kick myself in the azz for doing this with fishing things starting off in the next few weekends.....

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Update: After looking at pics on the net, i now see that there are two "injectors".......fuel injector and air injector (DI) and understand how they are in place.......pulled the rail back more and was able to see that the o-ring on the D.I. did "bust".......i'll be making an appointment with the local shop to get o-ring replaced....

9. Member
    now see that wasnt so hard was it

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No but anything i touch can break as you can see.....

11. Member
    and there aint nothin on it we cant fix as YOU can see

12. Member
    if ya wanta drag it up here next week call me ill fix it in about 15 min ........ FREEEEEEE

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    FREEEE!!! To bad i dont live that close to you, i'd be there already......

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Easy fix.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    very ^^^^ yes sir

16. Member
    What should the fuel rail be torqued at? I always just snugged them with a wrench.
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

35 ft. lbs.. i believe
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    35 lbs/ft

19. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What is the difficulty level on doing this o-ring replacement?? Shop told me they order the parts almost 3 weeks ago and are waiting for them to come in. Not sure whats going one with them.

Any step by step instructions some has??Does the direct injector need to come out or just push that one o-ring on and that's it?
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 03-06-2021 at 04:23 PM.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Approximately "4-5" on a 10-scale to replace both o-rings on each DI.

The direct injectors must be removed if replacing both o-rings. Wise to do this if for no other reason than to inspect for any pieces or shards of old o-rings.

If you're having difficulty getting the o-rings, we keep a top-quality o-ring in stock for each side of the DI (better than the OEM even). See Rhonda's post at the top of the Forum for Parts Department contact info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast