Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

250SS? dealer didn’t recommend

I’m shopping for a new rig. The dealer I’m working with is Suzuki and Mercury authorized.

I’ll be ordering the boat built to my options. The dealer, who has been helpful and answered a lot of my questions is recommending the Mercury. He says that Suzuki is still behind and the lower unit just doesn’t perform like the Mercury.

The reputation of Suzuki reliability interests me greatly.

Any thoughts regarding the 250SS lower unit?
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

Not as fast, Due to gearing, but extremely durable. Suzuki has one of the best lowers in the business.

3. Member
    250ss will probably be 1-2 mph slower.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

4. Member
    The biggest issue with Suzuki is getting them propped correctly in order to maximize top end speed. As mentioned above, the Suzuki gearcase is probably one of the toughest and durable lower units in the market. Last summer, I was running a bent prop shaft that was off by .005" and Suzuki's specs are .0008" to be considered bent, but I was still running my boat 68mph with my prop shaft bent while awaiting for my parts to come in.

The major consensus is that running a newer 27P Solas Scorpion prop with the adjustable vent holes will get you running mid 70s pending the type of boat. Some members on here are running a 26P Croxton Razor XL with great results and I'm currently running a PT Prop BRVR4 28P on my 18' Lynx and able to touch 72 mph before it gets too uncomfortable for me to drive. I have also tried a 27P Fury as well on my older boat with the 250SS with mixed results. I had great hole shot, but the top end sucked really bad. It also could've been that prop since I purchased it used and never had it blueprinted or anything else.

Lastly, Team Marine Service on their You Tube channel has hinted that Suzuki may release either a new motor or other rumors are around that there might be a new gear case for the 250SS that is similar to the torque master so it's easier to prop. No one really knows for certain if and when that information will be released, but I guess some of the BPT/Elite Pros are aware and excited for what's coming down from Suzuki, so who knows...lol!! I don't regret buying a boat with a Suzuki because it hasn't left me stranded unlike my previous Mercury Optimax 225 Pro XS & it seems like the newer Mercury 4 strokes still have all of those water filters screens that need to be checked and cleaned. Not sure if this helps or not with your decision.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

If you have to be the fastest then you have to decide.

Myself I'd rather be fishing rather than waiting for it to be ready at the shop.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Member
    I'm running a 250ss on a 625 Blazer 28 4 blade Suzuki prop great hole shot, top end 73 an you got your hands full, wants to walk but 70 to 73 is plenty for me. Good source is telling me Suzuki is coming with a new lower gear ratio. Easer to prop with a little more top end speed. Waiting for the change. Dean Rojas is running a 650 Blazer this year with a 29 Suzuki 4 blade prop. he ran a 28 last year on his 625. that's who recommended the 28 to me.

7. Member
    Everywhere I hear, whether it be from my mechanic, or online, or other users, states that Suzuki has the most durable lower unit in the market.

8. Member
    I had an old dt 55 on a lowes aluminium & that was one tough, tough motor. I'd buy a new suzuki in a heartbeat. If i can find the right 20-21 foot hull that's exactly what i'm going to do too.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I had an old dt 55 on a lowes aluminium & that was one tough, tough motor. I'd buy a new suzuki in a heartbeat. If i can find the right 20-21 foot hull that's exactly what i'm going to do too.
    I had a DT 65 on a Lowes 16 foot semi-vee that was a rocket ship. I know what you mean.

I'm now running a 2020 Suzuki 200DF on a 19'5" Stratos, it is pretty darn good just not a speed demon.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpumpkin View Post
    I’m shopping for a new rig. The dealer I’m working with is Suzuki and Mercury authorized.

I’ll be ordering the boat built to my options. The dealer, who has been helpful and answered a lot of my questions is recommending the Mercury. He says that Suzuki is still behind and the lower unit just doesn’t perform like the Mercury.

The reputation of Suzuki reliability interests me greatly.

Any thoughts regarding the 250SS lower unit?
    I went from a optimax 225 to a 250ss. The 250ss is easier to work on than my opti was. My merc layed down on me a lot. And that's why I ditched it. I have been running the zuke going on 5 years with no trouble. Speed wise, my boat is faster, but I'd bet the new 250 merc would be a couple mph faster.

Sometimes it's just a popularity contest. I'd question which engine he makes a bigger profit on. Also he might be thinking which engine he can make more money on in future service. Also they may have been a merc dealer 1st so they are bias. My next will be a 250ss suzuki.

12. Member
    I have a 250SS on my 19, 215 Falcon and the more I use it the more impressed I'am. Slower than the v-8 Merc and not as bad ass sounding either but the 250SS is quiet even at full tilt. Honda would be the only engine quieter than this. I definitely made the right choice in motors just have to prop it right on the Falcon.

Quote Originally Posted by txsunfish View Post
    I have a 250SS on my 19, 215 Falcon and the more I use it the more impressed I'am. Slower than the v-8 Merc and not as bad ass sounding either but the 250SS is quiet even at full tilt. Honda would be the only engine quieter than this. I definitely made the right choice in motors just have to prop it right on the Falcon.
    What kind of numbers are you seeing with your Falcon?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    Joe, I have about 4 hours break-in left but what I seen on the gauges was 64 at full tilt and full tank with just me, also 1-2' wave height.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txsunfish View Post
    Joe, I have about 4 hours break-in left but what I seen on the gauges was 64 at full tilt and full tank with just me, also 1-2' wave height.
    Are you running a hydraulic plate or are you still playing with the height? I would think after break in with right prop and height you should be able to squeeze a few more mph. Just from what I read online, it seems the DF250SS averages about 4-5 mph slower than the competition.

16. Member
    Well, not much better news with the Tempest and Scorpion. I'm beginning to wonder if there might be something wrong with the motor.

The 25 Tempest only turned 5400 rpms, got 58 mph. The 24 Scorpion was a little stiffer, turned 5300, got 57 mph.

I'm very surprised the 25 Tempest turned so little, I thought they were more true to pitch. Heck the Powertech RK3 turned a little more.

I'd have to go down to a 23 Tempest or a 21 Scorpion. Something just seems a little off.

You can run that gearcase pretty high. I would raise it as much as you can. What's your propshaft to pad level now? There is a lot of RPM to be found in raising the engine even just a little bit.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Well, not much better news with the Tempest and Scorpion. I'm beginning to wonder if there might be something wrong with the motor.

The 25 Tempest only turned 5400 rpms, got 58 mph. The 24 Scorpion was a little stiffer, turned 5300, got 57 mph.

I'm very surprised the 25 Tempest turned so little, I thought they were more true to pitch. Heck the Powertech RK3 turned a little more.

I'd have to go down to a 23 Tempest or a 21 Scorpion. Something just seems a little off.
    a lot of issues with the mercs getting 100% throttle opening from dealers not programming them correctly I have seen??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    a lot of issues with the mercs getting 100% throttle opening from dealers not programming them correctly I have seen??
    That was with the Suzuki

20. Randy Walker
    As others said... The Suzuki will be a little slower but as you said, reliability is a HUGE factor. Booter and others hit it... tougher to prop but more data is coming out on props to helps guys get better performance and rumor is they got something cooking that will elevate the performance on bass boats at least. I got 48 hours on my 2020 250SS and just changed from 12" manual JP to a Bob's Hydro and felt/seen an instant difference in performance as my motor was installed too low. Hole shot, handling, feel and fuel consumption are all better with the hydro JP for sure. I'm currently running a 4 blade 29P Suzuki prop and last weekend I got my best numbers with this prop and can get better with the 27P Solas Scorpion I'm sure. Right now I'm at 67.1-2 at 6050-6100 RPMs. I am in no big rush to spend more on another prop because my current speed with the Suzuki reliability is all good with me. If you are going to sell your rig in a couple years than you might get more action with a Merc on the back, if your boat is a bass boat anyway.. only because Suzuki and bass boats are still smaller, but growing! If you are going to keep your rig for ever or many years, I would not hesitate to go Suzuki unless you MUST have a little more speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast