Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The 250SS is only a few mph slower than the competition and is a great choice. The 200SS is a poor motor for bass boats and is 10+ miles slower than the competition

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    The 250SS is only a few mph slower than the competition and is a great choice. The 200SS is a poor motor for bass boats and is 10+ miles slower than the competition
    Didn't want to hear that. I was considering the 200ss for my 19ft Stratos reengine. Why such a performance deficit for the 200?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffth View Post
    Didn't want to hear that. I was considering the 200ss for my 19ft Stratos reengine. Why such a performance deficit for the 200?
    The 250SS is still a V6 engine. Even though its gear ratio is a little weird, it still has adequate torque and displacement to have acceptable top end.

The 200SS, while still technically 200hp, does not have enough torque to turn a relatively smaller prop (think 23 fury or 24 tempest) fast enough to push a small boat (bass boat) fast. That motor was made for turning small pitched large diameter props on larger boats like pontoons or center console. Moreover, it's an inline 4 engine. It doesn't have as much displacement as a SHO or Mercury Pro XS. Horsepower can very deceiving. Yes, technically it's outputting 200 horses somewhere on the power band, but it has no top end torque. You can't replace torque and displacement.

The 200 SHO and 200 Pro XS are still V6/V8 engines, just detuned. That's why the Suzuki DF200SS can't compare. Suzuki tried to rectify this by changing out the lower unit from a 2.5:1 gear ratio to a 2.0:1 gear ratio, but that only gained a few mph, if any at all. Also, you can't change the gear ratio without altering the torque curve otherwise your performance will be wonky. I found with the newer gear ratio I was getting maximum torque at around 5500 rpms, but recommended WOT rpms are 6000. I was only getting 60mph anyways.

I'm sure other people will try and chime in and say I'm doing this or that wrong. The fact of the matter is I probably had the most experience with both the 2.5 gear ratio DF200SS and the 2.0 gear DF200SS. I have tried a 25 Powertech RK3, a 25 Tempest, and a 24 Scorpion. I only got 60 mph or less. There is no magical prop or engine height that can gain me 1000 rpms and 10 mph. I can assure everyone I tried all sorts of engine heights with my hydraulic jack plate. The fact of the matter is the DF200SS is not good for bass boats. Unfortunately for me I spent thousands on props and a lower unit to chase this possibility. I don't necessarily regret my decision, I had to see for myself. If given the chance to only spend a few grand for a new lower unit vs several for a new motor, I chose the former. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me, but at least now I can inform other people.

Suzuki really f'd up marketing the DF200SS to bass boats. It should've never been released imo. Now they are screwed because they need to sell these motors that can't perform in order to recoup costs. They really need to be focusing on a V6 offering, but they need to get their money out of the DF200SS. I even hear rumors they are gonna stop production of the DF200RSS because of these complaints. It's really not a bad product. It's reliable and fuel efficient and quiet. It just has no top end. If you're okay with a 55-60mph boat it's not a terrible option, especially if you find it cheap. I sold mine with 75 hours for $12,500. Otherwise, stay away, and stick with Merc or SHO.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info! Good stuff. Personally, I'm not really concerned with top speed and looking to retire in a year or two, and want a solid, reliable motor to live out the rest of my fishing years. Seems like 200 SHOs are rare these days unless you get one attached to a Skeeter. Never been a Merc man myself, though I guess I should give the new motors a look. A lot to consider, thanks again!

5. Member
    From the reading here, sounds like the 200ss might be a better motor for the walleye deep v guys.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

I thought they also made a 200hp v6 as well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ampdreamer1 View Post
    I thought they also made a 200hp v6 as well.

Suzuki did, it was a 2 stroke and it was fast.

8. Member
    The original DF200 was a V6. Replaced by the in-line 4 cyl.

No a 4 stroke I meant but realized it was mercury that made both v6 and 4 before the new v8 lineup. I always believe in topping out hp on a boat well upto 250hp if you do tournaments. I have a stratos 201xl with a 1999 200hp Evenrude and always wanted a little more. It is rated upto 225hp. Now selling since I bought a 2019 pheonix 921 with a Suzuki 250ss
    Last edited by ampdreamer1; 04-16-2021 at 06:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12