Flourocarbon lifespan

Does fluorocarbon break down at some point ? I change my main line every year but I always keep the leftover line for leaders on my braid set ups.In Fl this past month I've had quite a few break off's right at the jig knot on 12lb. I was using a uni knot then went to a palomar and it didn't seem to matter. Should I trash all the old spools or do I need to move up to 15lb ? BTW -using Seaguar Invizix.Probably 3 year old spools.

Sunlight and humidity is hard on it. If humidity and in my opinion temperature is relatively stable/controlled it will last several years. I don't like freezing mine and then trusting it to me 100* 4 months later.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    No heat,no humidity where It’s kept. Must be user error.(Or Fl. bass have teeth no one told me about)haha

4. Member
    I've used some flourocarbon 2 seasons. Memory is my issue that makes me change or going heavier or lighter. Recently, I tried PLine Tactical and love it. Seems to have less memory than others. As far as knots, I have always heard that a palomar will burn flouro and will break off. Rule of thumb is any knot "with a twist" is OK for flouro. I experimented with all kinds of knots because the first knot I ever learned, Improve clinch, I just felt this can't be good. Well, I finally relented and go with that knot on flouro, now, 100% of time. We have a lot of rock. If my bait is a bottom bait, I need to re-tie often because the rocks can damage my knot especially on 14# and below. If I am on a bottom bite, it'll usually get me at least once a day to remind me to re-tie.
    I believe line is a racket. To change often sells more line. Guys who advocate it the most have a line sponsor. I buy all my line and that stuff better last for awhile.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

5. Member
    This might be just me.. but I have gotten in the habit of checking my knot and retying more often when I use fluorocarbon. I don't know if it's the fact that it doesn't stretch but my knots don't hold tight like they do with mono.. and you can't torque the knot down either without damaging the line. I find multiple casts and even landing dinks can work on the knot's integrity.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

I've always felt that sunlight was the only thing that really did it. To be safe, I keep mine in a dark closet inside the house during the offseason to avoid any potential problems, though it lives in my boat for the rest of the year which isn't exactly climate controlled. I've got some at least one spool I use for leaders that is at least three or four years old and haven't had prob

If you're just using the line leftover on the spools that wouldn't be enough to fill a reel, as long as you're not storing it in some extreme conditions I can't imagine the problem is with the line (unless it's bad right out of the gate which it sounds like it is not). Instead it just might be that lack of stretch from the braid putting more stress on your knot than you'd get with a full mainline of fluoro. Braid has no stretch at all, so your relatively short length of fluoro leader ends up taking all the stress of hooksets and the like. With a full mainline of fluoro, there's some stretch throughout equation so impacts aren't as concentrated. I usually size up when using fluoro as a leader for this reason. I definitely wouldn't be throwing 12 lb anything on a jig here in MN unless it's a super finessey type thing, for whatever that's worth.

I'm guessing not, but just to make sure: You're not removing the line that's been used for a full year then using it for leaders, right? If you are, that would probably be an issue. There, the problem is likely "micro fractures" in the line. It seems like fluoro stretches just a bit (much less than mono) and rebounds like you'd expect during "normal" fishing. But if you get a snag and pull the break the line, if the knot doesn't break easily enough, the line can stretch past that point where it will rebound and not fully return to its original state, fracturing somehow and getting weak spots in the process. Often if this happens you can feel little rough spots in the line if you run it through your fingers (and it's how I know it's time to change out a leader most times). After using line for a full season, I have to believe you would have introduced some weak spots into it that are revealing themselves later on, especially when used as a leader where that lack of stretch in braid means your leader is taking all the shock.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Some of my FC has been spooled up and used for 3+ seasons. Rods are kept in the rod locker almost year around except when serviced. If the line isn’t frayed, or showing signs of breaking more than usual I’m using it.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Sunlight. Yes. Spot on.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

9. Member
    Most FC lines I get one season before enough re-tying renders it too short. A couple rods I use less than the others, I will use the line a 2nd season but reverse the line on the spool in the spring. I think the one thing I used to do that ruined FC the most - was when you get a rats nest - to use the method where you tighten down the tension, push your thumb on the line and reel a few times to get it loosened up. That may loosen the nest, but it also micro-fractures the line and then break-offs occur much more frequently. I'm now one of those guys that either picks it out or re-spools.

Some line may sit on a shelf or at a distribution center for a couple years before you purchase it and then you go a couple years could be pretty old. Just adding that to the equation.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    DrewFlu33, I think what you said about the lack of stretch using a 3’ leader on braid and only using 12lb test is spot on and makes sense.It was snapping instantly on a hook set.I was using this set up because I’m visiting Fl for a few weeks and brought limited tackle. This combo doubles as my chatter bait/spinner bait,and traps.I hadn’t thought about the force applied to that knot.
    I’ve gone straight braid for now as I only have 12lb fluorocarbon on hand for leaders. I will be going straight 15 lb or 16 lb.fluorocarbon or leader at home this spring.Thanks all for the reply’s.

12. Member
    My spools sit in my garage year round. Can be 90 degrees in the summer or 20 degrees in the winter and I've never had issues with it. I too think it's sunlight as well as use, especially kinks from birds nests that break them down faster.

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    My spools sit in my garage year round. Can be 90 degrees in the summer or 20 degrees in the winter and I've never had issues with it. I too think it's sunlight as well as use, especially kinks from birds nests that break them down faster.
    same with me, no issues
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    DrewFlu33, I think what you said about the lack of stretch using a 3’ leader on braid and only using 12lb test is spot on and makes sense.It was snapping instantly on a hook set.I was using this set up because I’m visiting Fl for a few weeks and brought limited tackle. This combo doubles as my chatter bait/spinner bait,and traps.I hadn’t thought about the force applied to that knot.
    I’ve gone straight braid for now as I only have 12lb fluorocarbon on hand for leaders. I will be going straight 15 lb or 16 lb.fluorocarbon or leader at home this spring.Thanks all for the reply’s.
    I had this problem. If I'm using 12lb for leader. I have to loosen my drag for hookset. 14lb+ can take a braid swing without breaking.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3