New Trailer Bearings — Grease All Over Inner Side of Wheels

Had a shop install new bearings, bearing buddies and seals on my Karavan trailer for my 14’ Lowe Roughneck boat. I had a garage near me that does very good work install everything less than 4 months ago.

Was pretty dismayed to notice grease slung all over the inner side of both wheels yesterday.

Will need to get everything repacked, I guess. Was wondering what could have caused this? Poor quality seals?

Any idea how to troubleshoot the cause and make sure it doesn’t happen again?

2. Member
    Possibly overfilled with grease and the seals blew out?

3. Member
    Hmm yeah, possibly, Champ 2001. I checked the seals every now and then for the first month or two and everything was fine. A little surprised to see this happen now! I haven't added any grease at all.

4. Member
    Possibly the wrong size inner seal diameter was installed.

Not much difference between 1.72 and 1.68 inner seal diameter, but a 1.72 installed where a 1.68 is required will sling grease out the rear of the seal when rolling.

If your spindle has a SS wear rings, it's possible they weren't replaced.

Hard to troubleshoot what someone else did without taking the hubs off. At that point, you might as well do the work yourself.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Member
    Thanks, I appreciate all of the comments. Will probably double check the seals I used and make sure the quality's there too.

7. Member
    Big problem is most local parts houses don’t carry triple seal dust seals, so mechanics install what’s available, single seals which are not adequate for boat trailers. I’d also look at size installed and surface as suggested earlier.

8. Member
    needs speed sleeves replaced

9. Member
    Thanks will definitely look into those speed sleeves. That’s something new to me.

Here are some pics of a worn wear ring and a new one installed.

11. Member
    Thanks Bobg! Any idea why the seals were ok for the first two or three months and only recently started slinging grease?

Check easy stuff first. Go to Bearing Buddies web site and look at the filling instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    Thanks Bobg! Any idea why the seals were ok for the first two or three months and only recently started slinging grease?
    Seals need to be double lipped and the correct size. I add just enough grease until the blue ring on the UFP Trailer Buddy bearing protector just moves out a smidge. When installing a hub after replacing a seal, bearings/races, etc, I add grease a little at a time until any air is purged after a couple of trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Seals need to be double lipped and the correct size. I add just enough grease until the blue ring on the UFP Trailer Buddy bearing protector just moves out a smidge. When installing a hub after replacing a seal, bearings/races, etc, I add grease a little at a time until any air is purged after a couple of trips.