Using existing dash as a mold

My son and I have an older Xpress. Dash cap was basically shot. It's made of some odd material that seems like leather capped?? In the mean time, I did fabricate a replacement of sorts using 1/8" plastic sheeting. In any case, I thought I could probably modify it to some extent, use either wax or some form of PVA as a release agent and create a fiberglass shell around it. Am I smelling the resin too much, or is this a legitimate option?

Been "binging" fiberglass fabrication vids for various projects, pretty sure I can do it, just looking for some confirmation or common pitfalls I should be aware of, tips and/or tricks some may have used.

Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Ever watch face off on tv. They use some type of plaster. A little research maybe

3. Member

4. Member
    If your going to make the mold of fiberglass, the release wax you will be wanting is TR Hi-Temp. 4 to 6 coats on it and buffing each coat. Can be done, just dont let it sit in the mold too long after it has set. Be sure to use rope on the interior side to pull it out of the mold.

5. Member
    Brushsjigs: But I want to use the existing dash as the surface to create the new dash. Obviously fill in holes and abnormal areas... Coat with PVA?? Will that work??