your guys opinions on Clubs...Taylormade

not going to go and buy a new set but looking at picking up a set of Taylormade R7 irons.
    do you all feel these are something decent to upgrade to vs my old cheap Adams Irons.
    already have a R7 Driver and some hybrids that I picked up used so was just thinking of picking up a matching set of Irons.

2. Member
    Those are only about 10 generations ago they should be ok,
    my question is if they were good when they were introduc d why did they come out with R9', R11,R15,rocketballz, on and on and on with new models?

3. Member
    Luke - I'll have to check but I think I have a set in the basement that I no longer use, switched to Pings a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Luke - I'll have to check but I think I have a set in the basement that I no longer use, switched to Pings a few years ago.
    let me know if you do and what you might want for them. i would be interested in them.

Luke

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I played the R7 TP model irons back in the day and they were good sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    not going to go and buy a new set but looking at picking up a set of Taylormade R7 irons.
    do you all feel these are something decent to upgrade to vs my old cheap Adams Irons.
    already have a R7 Driver and some hybrids that I picked up used so was just thinking of picking up a matching set of Irons.
    What model are your cheap Adams irons?
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    ^ same here ^

I loved the R7 TP irons, i eventually sold mine and moved onto a forged players set, the standard R7 set were a really nice set of clubs (easy to hit, great distance) and the R7 XD was the bigger jacked up loft model, if the grooves were good i wouldn't hesitate to play them today.

8. Member
    Little late to the party on this one, but I don't understand the need to have a matched set. If you hit a club well then it should probably stay in your bad. Your "cheap" Adams irons might be cheap, but will you actually gain anything from a set of irons that are 12 years old? You might as well save up to get a newer model to take advantage of ever improving technology.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    Little late to the party on this one, but I don't understand the need to have a matched set. If you hit a club well then it should probably stay in your bad. Your "cheap" Adams irons might be cheap, but will you actually gain anything from a set of irons that are 12 years old? You might as well save up to get a newer model to take advantage of ever improving technology.
    That's my thought too, and this is coming from a guy who only fished Shimano reels, and Loomis rods religiously, for the last 15 years (I've expanded to Daiwa, and Megabass recently). My golf bag makes my OCD go crazy but it works. I've got a Ping G400 driver, Cobra F9 3w5w, Titliest Hybrid, Mizuno Irons, and Titliest wedges and a Scotty putter. Just because you hit your R7 driver well, does not mean you will hit the irons well, too. Find something that works for you, and play them. Golf is hard enough as is, then you compound it by playing matching clubs that don't necessarily help you. That's just my .02

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    That's my thought too, and this is coming from a guy who only fished Shimano reels, and Loomis rods religiously, for the last 15 years (I've expanded to Daiwa, and Megabass recently). My golf bag makes my OCD go crazy but it works. I've got a Ping G400 driver, Cobra F9 3w5w, Titliest Hybrid, Mizuno Irons, and Titliest wedges and a Scotty putter. Just because you hit your R7 driver well, does not mean you will hit the irons well, too. Find something that works for you, and play them. Golf is hard enough as is, then you compound it by playing matching clubs that don't necessarily help you. That's just my .02
    That bag sounds like mine. Taylormade driver and hyrbid, Callaway 3wood, Titleist wedge, mizuno wedge, Ping irons, and a scotty putter!

11. Member
    The newer technology that is being made today along with the specialized shafts make the game much more enjoyable. I would suggest saving up and getting what fits your game.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    Those are only about 10 generations ago they should be ok,
    my question is if they were good when they were introduc d why did they come out with R9', R11,R15,rocketballz, on and on and on with new models?

because golf is a game where new products are released annually to take advantage of the club junkies that have to have the latest and greatest. Not much more technology left to be had. The R7 will serve you well.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Member
    Bill is right. Golfers are as bad as fisherman when it comes to new gear. Taylormade is notorious for releasing new models and claim more distance etc. The truth is the USGA hasn’t changed the spec limits in a few years now. So from a “new club” perspective those R7 irons aren’t far off from maximum spec allowances. So if you like em, get em. Then as your game improves go get fitted for new irons. Most shops won’t charge anything extra for the fitting if you buy clubs!

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    I had a set of those too and I didn’t keep them
    long. I loved them when I was striking the ball well, but My iron misses are towards the toe and they were very short when hit towards the toe.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

15. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I had a set of those too and I didn’t keep them
    long. I loved them when I was striking the ball well, but My iron misses are towards the toe and they were very short when hit towards the toe.
    100% correct.

16. Member
    I have Titliest 913D3 driver and 913F 15 degree. Taylormade rescue hybrid, Cleveland CG7 red tour 3-PW, Cleveland CG15 wedge and odyssey putter. Not much has changed as far as drivers but irons have. Granted it could be my irons are worn out but the new mizuno and Titliest irons are incredible.