Need some help with prop pitch selection

I just purchased a Ranger 518VX with a 2020 200ss on it. The boat currently has a 24" dia 21 pitch 4 blade on it which is under pitched as the motor hits the rev limit with it. The previous owner told me he borrowed a 23P Tempest from a friend and tested it on the boat and it would hit 62 to 63 mph with that prop but still hit the rev limiter if you stayed on the pedal long enough. He thought a 24P would be about right for it.

I figured before I go drop a bunch of cash on a new prop, I'd ask around here and see if anyone had any input on it. Props aren't cheap and I only want to buy one. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Go to new gear ratio on this page or Suzuki page some good info. on these motors an props. i run a 250ss running a 28 4 blade. You will have to run a bigger prop ???? maybe a 27.

3. Member
    Might want to try a solas scorpion 3 blade in a 23 pitch, maybe 24 pitch.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

4. Member
    The 23 or 24 3 blade don't think will be your answer the Suzuki motor going to take something bigger. Let us know how you come out.

5. Member
    The Suzuki props are 14.5" in diameter, Scorpions are 15.125" props, and Tempest Plus is a 14.625" diameter prop. I think that a 24P Tempest prop will be about right in order to maximize top end, but not sure how it will hurt your hole shot. However, you can also purchase 2 Scorpion props for the price you would pay for a Tempest Plus since I believe a new Scorpion Prop is approximately $375. The newer Scorpion Props also have adjustable exhaust vents without having to deal with those plastic exhaust plugs.
    Last edited by booter; 02-05-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

6. Member
    Ha, I think I know exactly who you bought the boat from. I've talked to Ben before and honestly, a 24 might be too small. I would start with a 25. I myself am going to try my existing vented 27 Razor XL soon. I just got the boat back from the shop where they switched my lower unit to the new one. The 27 will most likely be too big but both Croxton and Powertech told me to try it first to get a baseline.

The fact of the matter is we're in uncharted territory and will have to do a bunch of testing. My dealer/mechanic even didn't know, and asked me to email him with some numbers.

If I had to guess, I would say a 26 Tempest or Fury would be the ticket. Croxton told me he would try the Tempest first (if my current prop doesn't work)

7. Member
    You had you gear ratio changed? So what is your ratio now?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striper joe View Post
    You had you gear ratio changed? So what is your ratio now?
    The newer ones have a 2:00:1 gear ratio (as opposed to the 2.5:1).

I ran the 27 today and predictably it didn't go that well. Barely got 5000 rpms which is way below the rpm range. That 27 Razor XL is a big prop. I will try and source a 25 pitch Fury or Tempest and see how that goes. I'm thinking the smaller diameter and the 3 blade will be the ticket.

9. Member
    Am in the works getting a Powertech RK3 25p. It's 14.5 inches in diameter, so about .75 inches less than my Razor XL. I'm thinking the 2 pitch decrease, going down a blade, and decreased diameter should bump me back up to around 6000.

10. Member
    Theory is one thing but actual water performance is another. We're all learning about props for the SS models here. The red line on a Suzuki is higher than many "conventional" motors so we have to consider that.

At least the conversation has expanded from Pitch only, to Diameter which is critical too, and to a lesser extent, Manufacturer.

Keep it coming.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Ha, I think I know exactly who you bought the boat from. I've talked to Ben before and honestly, a 24 might be too small. I would start with a 25. I myself am going to try my existing vented 27 Razor XL soon. I just got the boat back from the shop where they switched my lower unit to the new one. The 27 will most likely be too big but both Croxton and Powertech told me to try it first to get a baseline.

The fact of the matter is we're in uncharted territory and will have to do a bunch of testing. My dealer/mechanic even didn't know, and asked me to email him with some numbers.

If I had to guess, I would say a 26 Tempest or Fury would be the ticket. Croxton told me he would try the Tempest first (if my current prop doesn't work)
    Sounds like you do know who I got it from

I still have my other Ranger that I'm going to sell and it has a 14.5D x 26P Raker II on it. I'd like to try that prop out on it and see how it does before I buy anything. I'm thinking I may need a hub kit though, does anyone know about that? I'm better at catching fish than I am at propeller specifics.

Busy as hell this weekend so I can't get to it now, but I will post results next weekend hopefully.