Gen 1 MinnKota Talon works only sometimes (Solution)

The Gen 1 Talons were discontinued a while ago, and so were the main parts replacements for them, especially the DC Motor. My Gen 1 Talon was working sometimes, but not all the time, and if I hit the talon with my fist, it would start working again for a little while. I knew this was bad, so I took it apart to see what was wrong.

The main issue was that water had leaked into the DC motor contained within the housing at the top of the talon (Big Black Cylindrical part covered in a water retardant spray). I decided to take this apart (since the warranty is long gone). To do this, I took a pocket knife and shaved off the black covering over the motor. Then, I took the two screws out of the bottom (carefully) and noticed a ton of rust inside the DC Motor. The rust only covered the Brush Springs (there are two springs) and the brush tracks. I took the motor apart and replaced the springs and cleaned the brush tracks with a solution of 50/50 Water/Apple Cider Vinegar. This took all the rust and corrosion off. I let it dry and I put the dc motor back together and sealed it. Installed it back on the Talon and it works perfectly! I hope this fix helps you, because I was not able to find ANY online information about it.

Good Luck!

2. Member

3. Member
    Kodoos to you. Good info there. I am pretty certain that if you find a good used Gen 2 or 3 motor it will work on the gen one. Of coarse you will have to use the business end of the old motor on the new,

4. Member
    Great job on your Talon...I have a Gen 1 Talon issue right now...2015 Talon 10' (Out of Warranty) - I can get the Talon to deploy the fiberglas rod only, not the two aluminum extensions ever all the way but sometimes the first aluminum extension will deploy, but not come back up unless I manually (ratchet) it back in...any ideas on a fix?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASFSHN9 View Post
    Great job on your Talon...I have a Gen 1 Talon issue right now...2015 Talon 10' (Out of Warranty) - I can get the Talon to deploy the fiberglas rod only, not the two aluminum extensions ever all the way but sometimes the first aluminum extension will deploy, but not come back up unless I manually (ratchet) it back in...any ideas on a fix?
    You have an internal problem. Most likely the gibs are loose or there is crud on the slots. If you are near an ASC I would bring it in. I would not attempt to repair if your are not sure what to do. Also the Talon has a 5 year mechanical warranty.