Going to Fork, advise needed

I just moved from CA to CO near Denver and realized that I’m within driving distance to the famed Texas lakes. Plan to go to Fork for the President’s day weekend. Do not know anything about the area so can use some advise for:
    1. Place to stay. Prefer to be on the water. Low cost as long as it is clean and safe.
    2. general area that the pre-spawn starts first. I won’t be able to fish much of the lake as I only got 2 days so trying to limit my exploring to a small area.

thanks in advance.

Harry

2. Member
    Lake Fork Marina is where I always stay. Super clean, recently beautifully remodeled rooms, two boat ramps, one of the best (if not the best) tackle stores on the lake, Tiffany's restaurant has good food and is open early and late. A lot of the guides go out of there.

The north parts of the lake warm up first. Little Caney, Birch and Glade creeks. Little Caney and Glade have ramps in the upper part of the creeks. Do not run on plane out of the boat lanes. If you are only there 2 days I highly recommend a guide for at least half the first day. Can save a bunch of fishing in unproductive waters.

Good luck!

Retired grass grower

ROCK CHALK

3. Member
    http://www.boatlanes.com/boatlanes_product_catalog.html will hopefully keep you safe and out of trouble.

Also, highly suggest a guide like "Ring Fry" suggested. Brooks Rogers, Andrew Grills, Jason Hoffman, James Caldemeyer, Lance Vick.

https://officiallakeforktrophybass.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Lake Fork Marina is where I always stay. Super clean, recently beautifully remodeled rooms, two boat ramps, one of the best (if not the best) tackle stores on the lake, Tiffany's restaurant has good food and is open early and late. A lot of the guides go out of there.

The north parts of the lake warm up first. Little Caney, Birch and Glade creeks. Little Caney and Glade have ramps in the upper part of the creeks. Do not run on plane out of the boat lanes. If you are only there 2 days I highly recommend a guide for at least half the first day. Can save a bunch of fishing in unproductive waters.

Good luck!

Retired grass grower
    Spot on. If you aren’t in a boat lane, be VERY careful. Have seen many trashed lower units and props on Fork.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post

Good luck!

Retired grass grower
    Dang good post. Spot on.

6. Member
    To all, I truly appreciate your input and reply. Was all excited about the road trip, just for the heck of it, I checked the long range forecast. Needless to say, I am postponing the trip. I can stay in Colorado to get snow. Will definitely get the boat lane program for my Garmin graphs. Thanks for the heads up on Lake Fork Marina. Any thoughts on Oak Ridge Marina? I see MLF launched there.

thanks again all. Hope to make it down soon. Harry

7. Member
    Smart man.
    Getting down into the single digits Monday-Tuesday.
    Reschedule for April. I have seen some brutal cold fronts in March around here.
    It looks like it going to be one of those winters.

8. Member
    Last year my first trip down to Fork on a last minute trip, we stayed at the Minnow Bucket next to Oak Ridge they are ok for fisherman but like everyone says Lake Fork Marina is much nicer especially if you have younger children. We are heading back down 3/22 thru 3/26 and I hope the weather is fair.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    Last year my first trip down to Fork on a last minute trip, we stayed at the Minnow Bucket next to Oak Ridge they are ok for fisherman but like everyone says Lake Fork Marina is much nicer especially if you have younger children. We are heading back down 3/22 thru 3/26 and I hope the weather is fair.
    I’ll be there the same week..

BTW, I grew up not far from Fenton in the thriving metro of Belle, MO

10. Bobby8
    Another really nice place isThe Burning Stump. Owner Rich is a great guy and fishes as well. Has covered parking right in front of your room. Very clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    Another really nice place isThe Burning Stump. Owner Rich is a great guy and fishes as well. Has covered parking right in front of your room. Very clean.
    Plus 2, Rich is a great guy and will help you all he can. I have stayed there a few times. He also does reel cleaning and repair at the office.

12. Member
    Thanks again for all the replies. I hope to be down there also March 26 - 29th. Hope it warms up. Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Chang View Post
    Thanks again for all the replies. I hope to be down there also March 26 - 29th. Hope it warms up. Harry
    Mega Bass is that weekend, rooms will be hard to get.

14. Member
    Fisherman's cove is another good place to stay. They have their own ramp and a lane that is marked to get to the main lake lanes. Lake Fork marina is tricking getting out of to the main lake lanes.

15. Member
    Hope u brouht you ice fishing gear
    SAL 544
    13.11 lbs
    Lake Fork TX
    2/19/13

16. Member
    thanks again for all the replied. New plan, maybe Amistad instead. Same distance for me to drive. It was 16 deg this morning when I left the house. Harry

17. Member
    Im heading down 1st week of april. Staying at the minnow bucket. Sounds like id have rather stayed at lake for marina. But its just two guys fishing, so it will be fine.

18. Member
    Minnow Bucket is OK I stayed there last March. We are staying next door this year at Oak Ridge Resort the third week of March good luck.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

19. Member
    Thanks. You too!