Car tires on single axle trailer, not tandem

I have an older Cajun I'm restoring and really want white letters for the nastolgic look of the boat. Nobody makes rwl trailer tires but I see many threads on bass cat tandem trailers with car tires. Has anyone ran car tires on a single axle before? Or does anyone know of a rwl trailer tire? I have 205/75/14. Boat is Cajun spirit 185

2. Member
    I used to run car tires. Once towing back in Summer my truck developed a tremendous shake. I looked back, and my trolling motor was bouncing a foot off the front deck. A belt had come loose in one of the trailer tires. It can happen to specific trailer tires as well as car tires. That particuar trailer had a single axle.

I had 2 Basscats both had tandem axles, both had Cooper tires, neither had any problems.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    On a single axle, it can be hard to find a car tire that can handle the weight. You need an accurate weight before you can know what will work. Coopers in 14” can handle 1550lbs each at 44psi, which translates to about 2480lb maximum weight on wheels rigged and loaded for fishing on a single axle.

An Endurance can handle 2040lbs each at 65psi which translates to about 3264lbs maximum weight on wheels on a single axle.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    LT truck tires are great for trailers if you can fin the size for your wheel.

also looks like the Maxxis ST Radial M8008

is available with outlined white letters
    Last edited by leonreno; 02-02-2021 at 08:27 PM.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    LT truck tires are great for trailers if you can fin the size for your wheel.

also looks like the Maxxis ST Radial M8008

is available with outlined white letters
    You have a link for those? All the m8008's I'm finding say bsw not rwl or rol

6. Member

7. Moderator
    Never seen those stickers and pens before. I would get trailer tires and the sticker and your good.

8. Member
    I saw them listed here but realized that’s not a store, but have seen plenty of pictures of them with white lettering, maybe call Maxxis and see if they are available, pretty highly rated tire too.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/maxxi...al-bs-reviews/

here is a picture of one but not sure that’s what you get:
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire-ST205/75R14 144Q https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087PR490...X9CQXYXH5PK3P0
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    You need side wall strength in a tire
    car tires lack side wall strength
    maybe low profiles

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    You need side wall strength in a tire
    car tires lack side wall strength
    maybe low profiles
    Radial tires are continuous with no sidewalls. Same structure across the tire with a belt added under the tread for protection from road impacts.The weight on a tire is carried by air, not the structure of the tire. Car tires are absolutely fine on trailers if they are rated for the weight. The forces on a front tire while turning are much greater than anything a trailer tire will ever see.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Radial tires are continuous with no sidewalls. Same structure across the tire with a belt added under the tread for protection from road impacts.The weight on a tire is carried by air, not the structure of the tire. Car tires are absolutely fine on trailers if they are rated for the weight. The forces on a front tire while turning are much greater than anything a trailer tire will ever see.
    Totally agree with you CatFan. I have ran car tires on my boat trailers for years with no issues. My current boat (Triton) came with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires when I bought it, and I had nothing but trouble out of those things and finally gave up and switched to Coopers becuase, I, like the OP wanted to keep the raised white letter look. Those Marathon's were junk. I had belts slipping, tread becoming wavy and occasional bulging bubbles pop up on them with no warning. With car tires on my trailers, I have never had any issue whatsoever.