Thread: Spro Aruku Shad

Spro Aruku Shad

Is it recommended to switch out the hooks on an Aruku Shad to and EWG style hook even though they come with good Gamakatsu round bends?

2. Member
    I would not
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

3. Scraps
    Yeah, I wouldn't want anything but a round bend on a lipless - UNLESS they are really hammering the bait.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Thanks guys! It does make me scratch my head since they all come with round bends, but it seems anytime I'm watching a video from a pro, tactical bassin' or just about anyone... they definitely recommend replacing the hooks on most brands and on top of that, they usually always recommend EWG hooks for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't want anything but a round bend on a lipless - UNLESS they are really hammering the bait.
    This for me as well. EWGs are likely to keep a hooked fish hooked better than a round bend, but round bends are better for sticking fish that don't get the bait as well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    This for me as well. EWGs are likely to keep a hooked fish hooked better than a round bend, but round bends are better for sticking fish that don't get the bait as well.
    This ^^^ is my experience, also.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Just to let you know, check out the H2O Xpress LCR at Academy. I believe they are the same body and work well. Lot less expensive and it gives some different color choices for basically the same bait.