Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex install on Ranger RT178

I had a minn kota edge installed on the boat from the factory. Four of the existing 6 holes lined up. It looks like it hangs over a lot but so did the edge. If I moved it more inboard the head hung off the boat more. From the pics I found online it looked like the first mounting screw on the side cover lined up with the top edge. Is this close to what everyone else has?

ULTREX DEPLOYED.jpg
    ULTREX FRONT.jpg
    ULTREX BACK.jpg
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Bow: Garmin 93sv uhd & livescope
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Console: Garmin 73sv uhd
    Cumberland Crappie spider rig

2. Member
    That's way too far over the edge. I seem to recall the directions say an inch between the shaft and the side of the boat. I have mine angled towards the point of the nose as far as I can. The head still sticks out the side slightly with it angled inward as far as I could go and I have the 45" shaft.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

3. Member
    Heres my edge from the factory.
    20210129_173036.jpg
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

4. Member
    If I go outwards towards the port side of the boat and push the back of the mount towards the starboard side the holes will be exposed. It was also scratched really bad under the trolling motor. It looked like they let the drill bounce around for 30 minutes before deciding where to drill. If it will damage the trolling motor from hanging over that much then I will have to correct it.
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Minn Kota Ultrex

5. Member
    I just had Cabela's swap my Edge out on mine for an Ultrex, and it lined up pretty close to perfect. Unfortunately it is 2 hours away so I can't get you any good information right now.

6. Member
    If you take a side plate off you'll find more mounting holes. I decided to seal up two of the factory holes used for my factory digital 80 and drill two more so I could put the Ultrex where I wanted. It's further back than yours, but I have a 188.

7. Member
    I used pattern 2 because it lined up with the existing holes. It does show a minimum of 1-1/2" to the shaft but doesn't have a maximum. Is there any harm in leaving it as is? Without exposing the existing holes I could move it back a couple inches.
    ultrex install.JPG
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Minn Kota Ultrex

8. Member
    I also went from a 24v edge to a 45v Ultrex on my 178. I think 3 or 4 holes lined up I don’t remember but the trolling motor shaft extends over the boat about the same distance as the edge. From the back side of the shaft to the closest part of the Boat is almost 5 inches.

9. Member
    I also had to get my boat cover altered to fit right

10. Member
    From my boat to the end of the Ultrex mount is 5 inches. So to the shaft would be probably 2 or 3 inches more (at least). I also used my Edge holes when I mounted it. I use it every weekend in tournaments with no problems.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

I think it extends out too far. I changed out my Maxuum 80 for the ULTREX on my 188. I also looked at your alignment go the edge and when stowed I think your TM head is going to stick out too far over the side of the boat into the air. Maybe you don't use docks and stalls etc. much and it won't bother you but if mine was like that I would hit a lot of stuff. I am just saying to take a look before you hit that head on a dock or something. If you move it, look at twisting it a little inboard.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

12. Member
    My edge hangs over that far as well. I still have an edge, but hopefully will get an ulterex one day. Quick question though. What are those two aluminum pieces on your front deck towards the front?

13. Member
    My Cumberland crappie spider rigs slide into those.
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Minn Kota Ultrex

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I think it extends out too far. I changed out my Maxuum 80 for the ULTREX on my 188. I also looked at your alignment go the edge and when stowed I think your TM head is going to stick out too far over the side of the boat into the air. Maybe you don't use docks and stalls etc. much and it won't bother you but if mine was like that I would hit a lot of stuff. I am just saying to take a look before you hit that head on a dock or something. If you move it, look at twisting it a little inboard.
    The edge hung over just enough to hit docks. I got in a habit of always using the starboard side to dock.
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Minn Kota Ultrex

15. Member
    I look at your install and the picture when it is stowed. You have the motor almost all the way down and man it is still sticking way out over the edge of the boat where it can hit stuff.

I would have a real problem because we have a lot of weeds, and canes and reeds, stumps and shallow water we fish. I raise the motor up a few inches to make it easier to troll because the prop will run better out of the weeds and trash and also allow you to go more shallow.

Running the mount right along the edge to where you had to run the motor do deep would cause me a lot of problems when docking or driving slowly through flooded trees and reeds.

I would take the end of the mount that is toward the head and move it in a couple of inches. It would be tough to fish real shallow water as deep as you run the shaft down.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

16. Member
    My edge and Ultrex both hang over the side a little. I forget if it’s prop to the inside or outside but it stores with less hanging over the side like 3 inches

17. Member
    Seems a bit too far forward to me. I had a fortrex on the bow of my River-Pro, prior to installing the Ultrex 45. The holes did not line up perfectly. Installed new Rivnuts to make it work correctly. The last thing I wanted is a motor hanging father out, that gives more torque to be able to rip the mounting off your deck.... Whether slipping down current, or forward into stumps, rocks etc... Not saying I make a habit of it, but in river fishing it happens more than the average...

18. Member
    Can someone post some pics of their install that didn't use the factory holes. I did a lot of searching for pics of an ultrex on a 178. I found tons of the other Rt's. Do they all have the same front piece? Looking on Ranger's website you can tell the fortrex installs on the RT188P are angled more inboard where mine is parallel with the edge of the boat. If a screw hole was to be exposed what's a good way to hide it?
    ultrex front side view.jpg
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Minn Kota Ultrex

19. Member
    I used some of the holes but not all of them on my 178
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Member
    I decide to relocate the trolling motor. Before I drill new holes what do you guys think about the positioning? I also found some black plastic hole plugs that will cover the old holes.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-P...e-Plug/3013229

Front.jpg

overhang.jpg
    rear overhang.jpg
    Side.jpg
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast